How do you stay motivated to study?

Eag'sEag's Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I mean do you have to really push yourself to study? or are you the type of person who enjoys having their heads in books?

I myself lack a bit of motivation at times, not due to lack of interest but usually lack of confidence in my ability. icon_redface.gif

I see how far I have to go and it sometimes makes me feel like I am going in cirlces.
I never was one for study when I was at school (long time ago) but pc's are different. I do really want to learn and learn as much as possible.

Intrested to hear your thoughts icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I know what you mean. I was the same way in school when I was younger. I was not motivated to stick my head in the books and study, but now that I'm older more mature I am more motivated. It's also because of the love I have for the IT field. I want to be the best at what I do and it takes a lot of hard work to do it but when you accomplish your max potential you will be very satisfied. I myself have not reached my max potential yet...there still a lot of things to learn.

When I started in the IT field I was a bit discourage because I knew there was alot of stuff I needed to learn, but I didn't let that stop me so I started from the bottom and moved my way on up. I have accomplish things that I never thought I could do and I'm very happy that I tried my hardest to learn. What my point is...is that you can do it as long as you put your mind to it and enjoy what you're doing. It's going to be a long road ahead with a lot of reading do to but you can do it trust me. Good Luck!!! icon_lol.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    Well I guess having an "interest" vs. a "desire" really matters. I am intersted in learning a lot of things in life. I have a desire to work with Information Technology. I want to learn all I can and perform at the best of my ability.

It is hard at times to keep studying. I normally have a busy schedule so sometimes I slack a little bit with teh studying but I always bounce back ok. Sometimes you just need to have a 'Mental Health' day and relax. Give your mind a break. Go out shopping or see a movie...even a nice game of chess. Basically anything non-computer related is beneficial to yourself....just my .02
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i'm having a motivation problem too. i think it's normal.

let your mind wander. there's not enough time in the world to do everything you want ;)
    A+ Moderator
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    I find its always easier to be movitated once I schedule the test :D:D
  • ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hear ya. I know how you feel. Sometimes I get kinda discouraged. But I 've learned that you gotta "apply" what you learn. If might get boring if its contant reading from a book--but once you apply that to something--perhaps working on a friend's computer---it becomes real fun.
  • carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mostly I try and think about what I am working towards. I'm 19 and want to move out of state and I want to be able to get a somewhat decent paying job to support myself on. Also some books I can read for hours easily others like the sybex network+ is a real chore to do.
  • ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It also helps to find out how you learn best. There's loads of stuff on different "learning styles" on the web. Have a quick read through it and see if you can incorporate that into your learning.

I know what you mean when you say that sometimes one feels like there is no progress due to the fact that the field is so damnnnnn wide. I felt exactly the same way, even after I was with a company for a year. A buddy of mine just said: "Ah, that's just the IT field that makes you feel that way sometimes." Took some time til the penny dropped, but he was right. You "just" have to plot a course and follow it... don't let the Hydras, Giants and other Mhz/kbps/tree and whathaveyou Monsters get to you and after a while you'll be amazed at what you DO know and what you CAN do.
  • Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Zumpel has a great point. My mentor in college told me the same thing. Every class she taught, she tried to figure out how students were able to absorb information the easiest. I found out very quickly that I learn 100X faster by seeing examples. If I read something in a book, it goes in my brain and back out just as fast! I have to see it or experience it so I can understand the material easier!
    So when I am studying, I read the book a couple times (pictures help) but I then go onto our network here and can play with what I have just read. That way I am actually performing the task and can see the end result.