Can i Lab on Windows 7 Ultimate instead of 2008 Server R2 ?

NAVSTERNAVSTER Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am having a few errors in regard to setting up 2008 R2 on my virtual machine.
I see that majority of labs can be performed via Windows 7(will download AIK for 7 too) , is there a specific need for 2008 R2 Server
Thanks again

Comments

• NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    Having a server is good for practising WDS, group policy, setting up shares and permissions for your Windows 7 clients etc.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows server 2008 is obsolete, use Windows server 2012.
  • NAVSTERNAVSTER Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for replies guys :)
    Has someone got a step by step tutorial in setting up the labs ?
  • NissekiNisseki Member Posts: 160
    It's really easy once you resolve the errors yourself. I used VirtualBox and created one VM for Windows Server 2008 R2 and a few VMs for Windows 7, Vista and XP.

In each VM's network settings, I set it to internal network so they could communicate and also added NAT.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Post the issues you get. Screenshots of errors can be very helpful to get things going if you're hitting a snag.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Just managed getting around to settle for my studying so head on shoulders now, here for some guidance off you wise people sure i will have a lot to learn.
    Just a quick question regarding DNS in my domain controller settings shall i leave this blank as i have no personal 'home servers'?
    Also is NET USE only available to use through domains??
    keep getting error codes 53 64 67 net use i haven't shared or created domains
    Ok basically what i am trying to do it map a folder within NAS drive as a network share/drive.
    Shall i enable file discovery on within all windows and 2008 r2 servers ?
    my nas has a ip address of 192.168.1.14 (z: within windows) when i click on z: i have 'hard disk' click on this folder and then finally my 'backups' folder.
    Or shall i scrap using my NAS drive, can anyone point me in the right direction ?
    [FONT=&quot]
    Net commands to use

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To setup a network share
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Create a folder:
    [FONT=&quot]Md [/FONT][FONT=&quot]c:\folder1[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Share the folder over a network:
    [FONT=&quot]Net share folder1=c:\folder1 /grant:everyone,full[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Check status of share:
    [FONT=&quot]Net share folder1[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On a recipient client, find the share in the Network section in Windows Explorer
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To map network share to a drive:
    [FONT=&quot]Net use x: [/FONT][URL="file:///servername/folder1"][FONT=&quot]\\[/FONT][FONT=&quot]servername[/FONT][FONT=&quot]\folder1[/FONT][/URL]
    been recommended to follow these settings, gonna have play

[/FONT]