VCP6-DCV Vs AWS Solutions Architect

I'm at a crossroads right now and looking for opinions.

Been working with VMW for a couple of years and I completed Stanly CC a few months ago for my VCP class requirement. I took a break from studying due to other priorities but have since picked it back up using mostly CBT nuggets and a Foundations cert guide for prep. I don't feel confident that I could pass the exam if I took it today but there's a part of me that thinks maybe I could.

Fast forward and now I have been tasked with completing AWS Solutions Architect by May. I have very limited exposure to AWS but from what I gather the SA exam isn't THAT difficult as long as you study. I bought the CloudGuru course with Ryan K as it came highly recommended.

Question is... should I try and just buckle down on my VCP study for the next few weeks and complete that while it's fresh in my head OR should I just jump right into AWS given my time constraints and come back to VCP after? From what I gather the VCP Stanly vouchers are good for a year I believe.

Comments

• MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since your job requires you to complete the AWS cert, I'd probably do that one first, that way you don't have to rush learning it.

For VCP, it's not an easy exam. I almost took the new one to renew, but decided against it. I would think you'd want to use the cert guide for VCP instead of the foundations guide. It has mixed reviews though.
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    It's the official cert guide for the foundations portion... now that it's two tests.
    oh wow, didn't realize it was two exams now. I'd still do the AWS cert first. Hopefully, others will advise too
    Thanks. That's likely what I will be doing given the time constraints.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I obtained my VCP5-DCV and it didn't help my job opportunities at all, so I let it expire. Skip that certification and go with the one required for work (AWS).
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    OP: I would focus on the AWS one first as you really don't want to have the stress hanging over you trying to complete it at the 11th hour.
    Verities wrote: »
    I obtained my VCP5-DCV and it didn't help my job opportunities at all, so I let it expire. Skip that certification and go with the one required for work (AWS).

That's surprising to hear. I know cloud/AWS is the new hot thing, but still. What area are you in?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    That's surprising to hear. I know cloud/AWS is the new hot thing, but still. What area are you in?
    It seems to be just a general trend regardless of location. Vcp and basic virtualization skills were really hot about 8-10 years ago then started to commoditize and the cert became almost useless these days. And Vmware's recertification policies don't help either. Just to illustrate the point, after being vmware certified for 7 years, I finally let my vcp expire last fall and going all out AWS as well.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    The barrier of entry also doesn't help them. The cost of the class (which is basically someone going through powerpoints) and the fact that it's now TWO separate exams make the AWS certifications instantly more appealing in my opinion. Paying $3,000 to sit through a 5 day class doesn't make you any more credible than someone who crams for a CCNA exam for example.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    OP: I would focus on the AWS one first as you really don't want to have the stress hanging over you trying to complete it at the 11th hour.

San Diego, CA. In my opinion, VMware shouldn't have been so greedy with the licensing scheme and/or the certification fiasco of having to go to a $2k class (I took the $185 class from Stanly CC instead). The class doesn't even cover anything on the VCP exam and it barely covers what vSphere can do; its a cash cow for VMware.
    I let mine expire too, mainly because of the recertification policy. If I ever want to get it again, I'll get the VCP-NV first, so that I can get around the class requirement.