Options

4500 Hours Work Experience requirement - please help if this count

pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am thinking about going down the PM road and thus working toward the PMP (or Agile road) but not sure if what I do counts toward the 4500 hours project management work experience requirement. It is stated that I need to count my hours relating to project management that is in the five PMI Process Group.

- initiating
- planning
- executing
- monitoring/controlling
- closing

A little background. I have a BS degree. I have been in IT for over 15 years working primary as system admin. The last 5 years is solely focused on infrastructure projects (i.e. upgrading the virtual infrastructure, desktop OS upgrade deployment using SCCM, rolling out remote access system, rolling out disaster recovery system, upgrading document management system and Exchange, etc). You know, infra stuff touching all the stacks (i.e. networking, storage, compute, powershell, etc.) And all I do is working on these projects all day long.

Now, since the company I work at currently isn't a huge enterprise, my supervisor and I decide on the projects and then I do all the initiation, planning, execution (implementation, testing, etc), closing, etc.; and I don't follow the Project Management methodology or process, just used common sense and experience. The people involved, beside my supervisor, sometime requires a couple of other associates to do some testing, completing other tasks relating to the project, etc.

I basically "manage" my own projects as well as doing all the technical stuff. I do everything using my own method, tools to keep track of stuff, and experience. Some of what I do daily, beside the technical stuff, seem to touch on each or some of the 5 PMI Process Group even though I knew nothing about it until now that I am doing some reading into Project Management methodologies.

Given the above, can I retract and count the projects that I completed and currently work on toward the 4500 hours requirement?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends on if the work that you were doing at your job are temporary endeavors and not work that is part of the day to day operations of the organization.

It will also be useful for you to list the hours you have worked on each of these projects and then detail how the work you have performed is in line with the PMBOK processes. Worst comes to worst you will be audited (totally random) and you will have to elaborate on your job history.

There are a lot of templates online that can help or you can make your own.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    pusherpusher Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    It depends on if the work that you were doing at your job are temporary endeavors and not work that is part of the day to day operations of the organization.

It will also be useful for you to list the hours you have worked on each of these projects and then detail how the work you have performed is in line with the PMBOK processes. Worst comes to worst you will be audited (totally random) and you will have to elaborate on your job history.

There are a lot of templates online that can help or you can make your own.
    Good luck and keep us posted

Yes, these are typical IT infrastructure projects that are "temporary endeavors". Once completed, they are handed over to operation.

For current projects I will start following the PMBOK methodologies but for past/completed ones, I will have to figure out the hours spent on them that are PM related. Yeh, I saw many templates available online that can be used to break down/track your hours before filling out the PMP exam application.

My main concern is that for the past ones, I never really followed any kind of PM frameworks but of course, planning and stuff were involved. So, I don't know if it matters that I count these for the hours of requirement.
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pusher wrote: »
    Yes, these are typical IT infrastructure projects that are "temporary endeavors". Once completed, they are handed over to operation.

For current projects I will start following the PMBOK methodologies but for past/completed ones, I will have to figure out the hours spent on them that are PM related. Yeh, I saw many templates available online that can be used to break down/track your hours before filling out the PMP exam application.

My main concern is that for the past ones, I never really followed any kind of PM frameworks but of course, planning and stuff were involved. So, I don't know if it matters that I count these for the hours of requirement.

To be honest, you will be the only one that knows for sure if they apply. I recommend that you read through the PMBOK to see if any of those methods apply to your work history
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)