Gunning for 70-697

wylliez87wylliez87 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Just want to say there's some great stuff on here and it's all very helpful!

I'm struggling with the study for 70-697, my work has made me go for it and I only had 30 days to study before my first attempt which I did pretty bad on. I used CBT Nuggets training to get going, but in my opinion it's not nearly enough and far too vague.

I took my 2nd attempt after spending days on end going over learning locker practice tests and some admittedly slightly older brain ****, and yet I still came up just short.

I feel like there's not enough information on this exam and like we've all said, it's no joke.

I'm brushing up on my offline files, file history and powershell for about a week then going again....Anyone got any wise words or could point me in the direction of some study material that one can rely on?

Comments

• ablankenshipablankenship Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish I had some good words for you. I have not taken the test yet. Was planning on taking this Friday but I rescheduled until next week because I do not think I am prepared. The transcender exams are very tough and the questions seem very vague when it comes to the details. If the actual 697 exam is like the transcender exam then I need to do more studying, indeed. Good luck in the future and I hope you find the additional help that you need.
  • wylliez87wylliez87 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, It's a tough nut to crack no doubt about that.

From what I've seen the transcender is pretty good, but in my experience being solid with the wider concepts of the exam will help come exam time. There's more questions than you'd think on file history and offline files, no idea why at this point though.
  • fball90fball90 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been using mostly transcender myself and have not yet taken the exam...I have seen so many different reference points saying that transcender is good and transcender is bad, CBT is great and CBT is vague, technet articles that I can't seem to actually find, way too many free trials of things I don't have time to learn to use. A huge book that I don't have time to read My job is going to make me take this soon...I think its a little bit of luck...you have to know a lot on a broad subject area and maybe its a little luck and a little bit of seeing what is on the test...my qualm with the whole thing is that there are so many differently laid out things and different subjects covered in every forum I'm not sure which to study from anymore and I'm a bit tired of it all. I guess I will have to see how it is and maybe fail it a few times first...
  • wylliez87wylliez87 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I could provide a link to a pretty decent brain ****, which has quite a lot of exam questions on it which would be good to see.
  • analogkid1968analogkid1968 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took it 2 weeks ago, used the MS Exam Ref book and TechNet articles. Read TechNet for all of the exam objectives and know your Powershell!
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wish I had some good words for you. I have not taken the test yet. Was planning on taking this Friday but I rescheduled until next week because I do not think I am prepared. The transcender exams are very tough and the questions seem very vague when it comes to the details. If the actual 697 exam is like the transcender exam then I need to do more studying, indeed. Good luck in the future and I hope you find the additional help that you need.

Good luck, lets us know how you get on.

I have my exam in 2 weeks and im pooping myself. Finished the sybex book now and rewatching cbt nuggets and labbing. While going through transcender practice tests and im getting such crappy results on transcender its off putting but i have to pass this exam for personal reasons.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• IAmATeafIAmATeaf Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took 698 on Friday just gone and passed but unfortunately failed 687 which I took on Saturday, failed by just 1 question as I got a score of 675 so am pretty annoyed with myself.

For Azure FS I got none of the questions right so am wondering if people can offer advice on where to look to bulk up my knowledge?

Are we allowed to discuss particular questions here or is that a no no as I'm aware I did sign an nda when taking the exams.
  • IAmATeafIAmATeaf Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry the above should be MS identity not Azure FS.
  • Timo1986Timo1986 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I tried this exam 2 times, I really underestimated it and at this moment I'm looking for a new attempt.

The first time was at the start of december with score 650, 2nd time last week with 675. I had the feeling that my second exam was way more difficult with 51 questions comparing with the first (46), 675 is a score of 1 missing question, and it's really frustrating that with drag and drop questions where you need to fill in several items and you fail one piece, the whole question is wrong.

I had detailed questions with "what kind of Microsoft plan" can you provide a user with 20GB/60 GB (Onedrive /onedrive for business, documents and so on..) and drag and drop questions where not all the tools have to be used, also "choose all that apply" questions are not easy and confusing imo.

I also don't understand the way Microsoft evaluates the exam. My result of the 2nd attempt in the chart is much better. First time I had several subjects where I didn't even score the first bar with 20%, the 2nd exam I had a minimum of 40% on every subject except one: manage apps)
    I watched the CBT Nuggets 2 times and used the Exam ref book while practicing, but this book is not very relevant and helpful towards the exam.. The exam includes a lot of various topics, I think I'll improve the weakest skills again. This is also my first certification attempt so maybe failing and discovering is the only way..
    Not filling me with very much confidence icon_sad.gif and I have my exam in a few days. Just like you it will be my first MS certification attempt.

Do you try the Study Guide 70-697 by William Panek? It is way better than the official Exam ref book and focuses on the exam objectives. Also did you try the transcender practice exams through CBT Nuggets?
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• ablankenshipablankenship Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my exam today and passed with a 760. The cbtnuggest series and transcender exam helped a lot. I would answer questions on transcender and then read the explanation and really try to understand it.
    Well done :)
    Certifications:

Forgot to ask, did you get many questions with Powershell and Azure RemoteApp?
    Certifications:

• Falcon56Falcon56 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.ajsnetworking.com/70-697-configuring-windows-devices/

Looks like Anthony Sequeira is taking over the 70-697 training at CBT Nuggets. On his latest blog article, he states:

Final Thoughts

This 70-697 exam is pretty easy. Especially when compared to the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 counterparts. Please, of course, study. But again, compared to previous Windows desktop exams, it is definitely on the easier scale. Knowing key facts can carry you through many questions. And you have a relative few questions to deal with. I really enjoyed how this exam hammered important facts, and not trivia. I only noticed one question in fact out of my test bank of 52 total where I thought to myself “that is just stupid – who would have that memorized!” Interestingly, several of the questions could be answered just by having your A+ and Network+ certification knowledge down pat. Enjoy your studies everyone!

I have to say, I didn't find the exam to be "pretty easy"
    But yet James Conrad, said the total opposite on one of this comments 8 days ago.

Well the 70-697 exam is certainly no joke. In 20 years of taking exams, this one was by far the most difficult! The training does cover all the exam objectives, but the hard part about the exam is that the questions are very complex and it's as much a reading comprehension test as anything IMHO :) However - I have heard from several students of this course who have successfully passed so I do think the course and practice exams can get you prepared.
    Certifications:

• culpanoculpano Member Posts: 163
    I have nine Microsoft certifications. 70-697 was by far the hardest one. 70-698 which I passed yesterday wasn't that much easier. They are very tough indeed.