Opinions on Charter Internet

atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
Does anyone have any experience with Charter internet? I'm looking to buy a house, and one of the houses is only serviced by Charter. I don't know anyone that has used Charter, so I'm asking people here. Is Charter reliable? I see their price is inexpensive (compared to others).. which makes me wonder how reliable they are. Any information will be helpful.

Comments

• atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Really need some help guys
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I can't speak from recent experience, but a few years ago I so happened to live in areas that were covered by Charter. I didn't have any problems with their cable Internet. I would choose them over Comcast ANY day.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I can't speak from recent experience, but a few years ago I so happened to live in areas that were covered by Charter. I didn't have any problems with their cable Internet. I would choose them over Comcast ANY day.

Thanks for the input. Will definitely go into consideration.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would definitely be curious to see if they have continued with their same level of service. Whenever I had issues with their service (we had Internet and TV), they were very quick to resolve.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get your own router....
    Get your own router....

I have my own router, but that's not the only thing that goes into a reliable internet connection...
  • GnomeachaunGnomeachaun Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    With your own router, you shouldn't have any problems. I had charter about 2 years ago, and I have Spectrum now, post Time Warner/Charter merger. The only issue I ever had was with their router, first one went bad after 6 months, and needed to be rebooted every day or so. Got it swapped out for a different model, no issues.
    With your own router, you shouldn't have any problems. I had charter about 2 years ago, and I have Spectrum now, post Time Warner/Charter merger. The only issue I ever had was with their router, first one went bad after 6 months, and needed to be rebooted every day or so. Got it swapped out for a different model, no issues.

So overall, pretty good experience so far?
  • GnomeachaunGnomeachaun Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, good experience. I actually have seen download speeds faster than what I pay for by as much as 20% several times, and they usually have some of the fastest speeds available, depending on area. the base package in my area is I think 60 Mbs, and can go up to around 300-400 Mbs
  • superbeastsuperbeast Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have Charter internet and can't complain. I had Verizon Fios before and strangely enough, I don't notice much of a difference between Fios and Charter.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No better or worse than your average home internet provider.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

Precisely
    atippett wrote: »
    I have my own router, but that's not the only thing that goes into a reliable internet connection...

It's the number one thing when getting Charter the routers provided are junk..... But you would know this because you have had Charter before, o wait no you haven't. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The answer will depend on your location. As with virtually every other carrier some areas will have better service than others. Now that Charter has brought up several other ISP (Primarily Time Warner Cable and Bright House) I suspect that they will be upgrading some of their infrastructure. Not to mention rolling out new pricing under the Spectrum branding :)
    I'm going to tour the house tomorrow, I wonder if they'll let me connect to their wifi and run a speedtest icon_lol.gif
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    atippett wrote: »
    I'm going to tour the house tomorrow, I wonder if they'll let me connect to their wifi and run a speedtest icon_lol.gif
    If someone already lives there, I doubt it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S