Passed the Security+ yesterday morning.

skywolaskywola Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I read every existing Security+ book available, because I did not have the two years experience, but I concentrated mostly on David Prowse's book and Darril Gibson's book. I read Darril Gibson's book over, and then reviewed it about two times, and three times for Prowse's book. Prowse's book is the better of the two, but I don't think studying from one book alone is likely to get you to the point of passing the test. These two books seem to be the best for studying from though. I spent a LOT of time studying, and used an application I created to review questions, by randomizing them and reviewing over whatever I missed, and continuing to do so until there was just nothing left to study. I took the test today and scored an 805/900, passing it with a pretty wide margin . . . . failing would have been no fun at that price, and be sure you get a voucher so you are not paying full price. I also used a lot of you tube videos, including Professor Messer. I did not watch every Professor Messer video, I just watched the ones that had concepts I was having difficulty with, and, I found other videos just by searching for whatever subject I needed to reinforce. You absolutely must know this material inside out to pass this test, it is no walk in the park. I think I spent about four-five months on it. Know every definition and abbreviation, know the protocols inside out, what they do, what they use, and what their usefulness is. David Prowse's book has hands-on exercises, better than any other book. I passed the first time, but I studied until I could find nothing left to study, and therefore was quite confident when I went in to take the test.

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome job with the dedication and persistence! What are you pursuing next?
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You now have the CompTIA trifecta! Well done!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • EnticlesEnticles Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratulations!
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Congrats, I did that and used the premium content from the Get certified Get Ahead. Studied for about two weeks over the holidays and pulled an 831, I actually thought I had failed and was happy after that stupid questionnaire said Passed.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    good work - how many hours a day did u study?
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!