XRY Training - Smartphone Forensics

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Got word yesterday that I will be sent to XRY Training next week! Getting XRY Certification and Intermediate training (5 days) which I am pretty excited about. In a month I'll also be attending the XRY Tablet and Kiosk training which covers the use of those two devices along with "train the trainer" so I will be able to train others. Finally, not 100% on this one, I believe I might also be sent to the XRY Advanced Applications training (covers recovering data from apps on a phone and Python) as well as the XRY Advanced Acquisitions training (covers JTAG and Chip-Off methods). Overall looks like some really good training and a chance to become an expert in Smartphone forensics. I'll post reviews close to daily if possible (starting grad school next week so might be hard).
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This sounds good. Looking forward to the review.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Today I got up early and headed to training as it is about an hour drive (with no traffic) and I didn't want to deal with any issues. As I am approaching the exit I see it is blocked off so I head to the next one and take the city streets to arrive at the building. Whole street is being blocked off by police, so I have to go a couple different ways to get to the parking lot. As I look I see that there is a ton of water on the street and a worker in a backhoe calls me over. He says the waterline broke and he's pretty sure no one is allowed in, though I see people inside. I say thanks and head over just to check, he was correct and the building is closed for the day.

I called my Chief and he gets back to me saying to go to a different building while they scramble to find a place for the training. Long story short it was cancelled and I now need to go slightly further for the alternate training site. Good thing was I found out I am good to go to start my new position and I got to meet the members of my Unit so the day was not a waste. Hopefully good stuff to report tomorrow.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • mamoreno89mamoreno89 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are in for a treat. I never used XRY prior to the training.

By the end of the week, I was very comfortable in using the tool; it was an awesome experience.
    Awesome! Thanks a lot for posting because I definitely had some concerns about the training and hearing that it was good has put me at ease a bit!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The XRY training is pretty good. It's a hands on class so you get to mess with a bunch of phones. I've taken a few of their classes, and both instructors were good. The Intermediate class is where things start to get interesting. Intermediate is when you get to start messing with the "real" forensics.
    Excellent! I am starting the Intermediate class tomorrow after we take our test for Level 2. Thus far the course has been great and as others have stated you do actually pull data off of the phones. The pace is actually a bit slower than I expected and I'm not having any issues keeping up. I can see that I could really deep dive into it especially since the other members of my Unit are happy to let me handle the phone forensics (especially since I was hired to do so).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Excellent! I am starting the Intermediate class tomorrow after we take our test for Level 2. Thus far the course has been great and as others have stated you do actually pull data off of the phones. The pace is actually a bit slower than I expected and I'm not having any issues keeping up. I can see that I could really deep dive into it especially since the other members of my Unit are happy to let me handle the phone forensics (especially since I was hired to do so).

Yeah, go on and try to take their AA class so you can get into rooting and ADB. (The automated privilege escalation exploits XRY uses will not work on newer Android phones.)

So, you're gonna be the only guy doing phones huh? I hope your new unit has an up-to-date and fully licensed Cellebrite UFED... otherwise GOOD LUCK HOMEY! icon_lol.gif
    Haha we do actually have a UFED, though another unit takes it a lot. But other agencies we work with also utilize Cellebrite so we can always borrow it if need be. I believe I am scheduled for the Advanced Apps course and the JTAG/chip off course. 8 people will attend those two courses while we've had 12 in this course and the Level 1 course next month. I'm assuming I won't be one of the four dropped off for the advanced courses.

Based my test today so I am officially XRY Certified! Have another exam on Friday and with a pass I will be XRY Intermediate Certified.

Thinking since I can't go to law school I might take some courses in electronics, but we shall see.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Completed and passed the Level 3 exam today! It had a hands on portion which was nice and I feel pretty comfortable with the tools. Definitely looking forward to the more advanced training that is to come (if I am one of the 8 selected, which I believe I am). Definitely really excited to get into mobile forensics.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff