The 'know-it-all'

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
How do you deal with the 'know-it-all' in the office?

you know, the guy who knows everything, has done everything, and doesn't shut up..

any tips?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Ask him to explain the different between a metric and standard crescent wrench..............

Or ignore him.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Walk away if he/she starts and it is not work related. Do something else.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Asking him anything will end up in him answering, no matter what it is.

Work-related stuff, the 'talking' and the 'I know this I know that, I know everything' never ends :D

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask him if knows about the economic state of Bangladesh in 1968. That's a real conversation starter for know it all's.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Just say: "I have to return some videotapes" and walk away.
  • TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Act fascinated by his knowledge and ask for more information. Look at him all dewey-eyed and hang on to his words.
    After a while, he will think that you're taking the piss and go look for other victims lol
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know this type all too well. Usually it is best to let what they say go in one ear and out the other. In my experience these types usually have pretty weak or average tech skills at best and poor people skills. Everyone in the office usually dislikes this individual and complains about them behind their back.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    But aren't you a "know it all" yourself UnixGuy?? icon_thumright.gificon_lol.gif
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ask him if he would prefer to be buried alive or dead.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suspect he's insecure and probably really insecure around you. Do you think he's intimated by you or competes with you? People who act like they know everything feel like they have something to prove. People who are confident don't care. Maybe if you just look at him that way it won't bother you as much.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I try to ignore them if at all possible... Sometime it isn't possible and something you have to just deal with. I avoid conversation with them because no matter what you say, they will have their own story and will usually try to up you. I think there is a Dilbert character like that.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "yeah...yeah...oh really? Hmm...that's interesting...I didn't know that..."

Then I turn away like I've lost interest and do something else.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Noise cancelling headphones. :)
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with GeekyChick this guy sounds intimidated by you and more probably the knowledge he knows you have, take it as a compliment and leave......QUICKLY icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    There's a guy I know, not at work but in my college classes, that works for the FBI, is a professional bow fisherman that has won millions in tournaments, has a Bachelors from a prestigious school, has his own business as a bodyguard and has worked for the Governor of our state,
    his mom was a key component of inventing the iPhone, his dad is on the board of directors for Oakley, and claims he bough gold for a ridiculous discount (can't remember the exact $, but something like $150/oz), and more that I can't remember.

Not a know-it-all, but definitely a liar.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my experience, these people lack social skills. They probably don't have many friends and want to impress you. I found these "know-it-alls" also have a hard time picking up social queues, like "hey pal I gotta get back to work take a hike". Hints go unrecognized, they usually just power through them and continue on with their banter. The best thing you can do is be forward with them, and say I have to get back to work. They are usually so unaware they will be shocked and leave you alone.

Most people won't do this and for it their relationship becomes toxic with that individual, however...... if you are forward and say hey Pal gotta get to it, they will generally respect that and walk away.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually walk up to them acting really interested in what they are explaining & release several SBD's, then slowly walk away...
    8^D
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    I make fun of them. Otherwise I am super sarcastic anytime they speak within earshot of me. But mostly I make fun of them in meetings or a social circle.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had one person I worked with a few years ago who I swear was exactly like Sheldon from Big Bang theory. Just a skinny tall know it all who would say anything because they thought they were always right.

I actually found it pretty funny to work with him. If you ever asked him for help, he would just come over to your desk, say "stand up" and expect you move out of the chair. He would do this to everyone. I would just turn and stare at him with a pissed off stare for like 5 seconds before moving whenever he acted like that. Then proceed to stare right at him when he sat down and started working. Totally jokingly of course. I just liked to see how he reacted and tried to make him uncomfortable. Some people who sat around me thought I actually was getting pissed at him. There was actually some people who didn't like how he acted and took him personally. It was just his personality though.

He was actually a smart guy and pretty nice (for the most part). I just liked messing with him. Usually got a smile out of him, he knew I was joking and I wasn't too serious.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    sthomas wrote: »
    I know this type all too well. Usually it is best to let what they say go in one ear and out the other. In my experience these types usually have pretty weak or average tech skills at best and poor people skills. Everyone in the office usually dislikes this individual and complains about them behind their back.

this has been my experience with these types as well
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • colstarcolstar Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it is so true! Probably every company has such guys. I can say that in our team, probably every department has such Know-it-all person. To my mind, it is better not to pay attention to such people and proceed personal work. What for you should waste your time and nerves on somebody?
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    He is one of those who "I wrote my first code when I was 12 yrs old, I hacked the Internet..bla bla"

I don't think he's jealous of me from a career point of view but definitely on a personal level. I try to talk less and less...just trying to focus on my own journey, I'm not into competing with anyone!

His social skills are good, possibly better than most of our colleagues, but the whole "ME ME ME ME" gets old. I don't mind it, but he has a habit of telling people what they need to do :) It's not that bad but anyway, I guess I was just annoyed when I wrote the thread...

But yes this happens when people have no social life outside work

• dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We had one last year. Told us we had no idea what we were doing because we didn't have CISSP and that we didn't go to 'real' IT schools, and would question everything we said. I swear he would even argue that my shirt wasn't actually blue, but a mix of 7 different colors and tell me I was wrong if I said it was blue. I used to work in law enforcement and he tried to argue with me about the legality of arrest warrants. He told me our team leaders had no idea what they were doing and that our manager was clueless and had no idea how to manage after meeting him for 10 minutes. I'm sure he said the same about me when talking to them. It got to the point that we started ignoring him and only talked to him when it was work related and we had to. Funny thing was, even though he was a know-it-all he still was constantly asking me how to do his job. We used to sneak out to lunch without him. Eventually it caught up to him and he made the wrong comment in front of the wrong people and was fired. I was working from home that day and didn't find out until the end of the day. No idea where he is now.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    Oh, I have an idea. You can try this.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kr-OXclAt60[/video]

BWAHAHAHA!

I luv'd that show
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PlayDoh72PlayDoh72 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Just say: "I have to return some videotapes" and walk away.

Bahahaha!
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The thing about most know-it-alls is that their knowledge is wide but not deep, go two questions deep on 99% of the subjects and suddenly they will feel lost and start making stuff up.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    He is one of those who "I wrote my first code when I was 12 yrs old, I hacked the Internet..bla bla"

I don't think he's jealous of me from a career point of view but definitely on a personal level. I try to talk less and less...just trying to focus on my own journey, I'm not into competing with anyone!

His social skills are good, possibly better than most of our colleagues, but the whole "ME ME ME ME" gets old. I don't mind it, but he has a habit of telling people what they need to do :) It's not that bad but anyway, I guess I was just annoyed when I wrote the thread...

But yes this happens when people have no social life outside work

The good old "Me Monster":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vymaDgJ7KLg
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just say kool story bro..... Walk away sounds like he suffers from small ***** syndrome... :) needs to gloat about knowledge.

I know more than my colleagues in some areas. However rather than show them up or act like a asshat. I get them inspired to learn more about technology. I would never make them feel interior..

Infact recently I schooled one of my team members in the basics of Linux I pointed them in the right direction to learn, Gave them a insight into how I started and inspired them to undertake personal studies. They called me a guru I replied we are all the same you have areas of expertise that I struggle with never compare yourself to others. Now I'm approached all the time when they face challenges :)

Now obviously I don't reveal everything but I steer them in the right direction. I don't see the point of being a douche.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like kool story Bruh.........

I like that...