Passed Security+ this morning, on to the next thing

mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
Got this done this morning. Pretty straightforward after taking the Network+ exam. Used Darrel Gibson's book and premium site, along with some Anki flashcards for acronyms and port numbers. Thanks to everyone here for sharing tips, strategies, and encouragement.

CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! That's a really awesome score. What is next for you?
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Congrats! That's a really awesome score. What is next for you?

Thanks! I'm going to cram for a week or two for the ITIL Foundations exam and get that done, and then I am thinking about enrolling in WGU's MSCSIA program. I had been considering the CISSP next, but if I want to do a Master's degree, right now would be the best time. I can do the CISSP after that.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    Awesome! I went through WGU's MSISA program before they changed, and I really liked it. I have a former student that is enrolling soon. Keep in mind though, unless WGU has changed their policy, the CCNA is a pre-req to sign up for that program. She passed ICND1, and is working on ICND2 now. I would talk to an enrollment counselor just to make sure.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Awesome! I went through WGU's MSISA program before they changed, and I really liked it. I have a former student that is enrolling soon. Keep in mind though, unless WGU has changed their policy, the CCNA is a pre-req to sign up for that program. She passed ICND1, and is working on ICND2 now. I would talk to an enrollment counselor just to make sure.

They've expanded the prerequisite possibilities. From the program page:
    Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited college or university, and must also demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
    • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
    • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, GIAC 2700 or GCWN certification that is valid and earned within the last five years.
    • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
    I have a BA in Philosophy. I don't have a BA in IT, nor do I hold any of the certifications mentioned, but I have worked for 3.5 years in Healthcare IT and have plenty of experience in security policies, incident response, secure mobile device management, etc.
    Ok, that makes sense why she still has to complete CCNA. She has her Bachelor's Degree in Software Design, and I know that her security experience is lacking in that sense. Thanks for the updated info!
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Not meaning to jack your thread but is WGU a "reputable" school? Just want to make sure it's not another University of Phoenix or something like that...
    ultm8mind wrote: »
    Not meaning to jack your thread but is WGU a "reputable" school? Just want to make sure it's not another University of Phoenix or something like that...

"Reputable" can be a subjective meaning. I used to teach at Heald College, which was established in 1863, and was closed by the Department of Education in 2015, while under management by Corinthian Colleges. Heald was fully accredited all the way up to the day we were closed. I don't have any experience with UoP, so I won't talk about them.

WGU started in 1995, and is regionally accredited for multiple undergraduate and graduate programs. I'm not going to say that their programs are better than other schools, because I don't know. I can say that the things that I have learned from their programs thus far have helped me technically and professionally. I do like the fact that they are non-profit. As with everything, you have to do your research and pick the school that you believe will provide the end result for which you are looking.
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the reply brother, yeah I am just curious where I should start my next degree and it seemed there are a few of us in this group that have acquired their degrees from WGU. Appreciate it, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Also it was the original poster score that was pretty good, I pulled an 831 and when I saw his I was like WOW.
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Im jealous :) Did you feel like there was a lot of overlap between Network+ and SEC+? Which one did you find easier?
    Yes, lots of overlap. There's a little bit of direct overlap, since Network+ includes some network security stuff. But also lots of indirect overlap, in that a good understanding of network design and protocols is necessary to understand the content of Security+.

I definitely found Network+ more challenging (I studied longer and scored lower on it), but I think the difficulty level is actually probably pretty close between the two. The fact that Security+ felt much easier was mostly due to the fact that I had just spent so much time preparing for Network+ and I was just building on top of that foundation.
  • c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sweet..congrats on the pass
  • amuricaamurica Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh wow. Thats interesting because I feel like everyone I have talked to says Sec+ is harder. Im really glad to hear you say the contrary because 3 weeks ago I passed Net+ with only a 720 and I felt like if anything was harder than that I would not be able to pass. Thanks for you input.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratsss on your pass!! Really nice score!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"