Huzzah! Passed Security+ Today! Here's what I did to prepare

VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings Tech-Exams community,

Well, it's official - I'm Security+ certified icon_cheers.gif!!! Scored a 784 - not bad but a pass is a pass.

I'd like to thank those on the forums that helped me select the studying resources and those to stay away from.

Here's how I prepared for those that are studying icon_study.gif:

1.) Book I used - Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead Book - a must.
2.) I did subscribe to the premium content (from Darril Gibson). His performance-based questions helped a lot. Plus there's practice tests and such on there as well. Highly recommended if you want to pass the first go-'round.
3.) The practice tests on this site.
4.) Made flash cards and my own "**** sheets" to study from. Writing concepts down over and over helped me out a ton.
5.) Other "quick tests" I could find online.

I did NOT use brain ****. Bad idea.

On to the next one - Certified Ethical Hacker!!!!!

VV5 out!
B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
J.D. Candidate (2L)
In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol

Comments

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! :D
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bravo Zulu!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with the CEH!
  • VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all I appreciate it!

VV5
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratss!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • TPowellTPowell Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you use the "Extras" test under the GCGA premium package? I didn't understand that at all. Many Linux questions that weren't in the book at all and several other uncovered topics. I did well on the other material including the performance based questions (70-80% mostly)
    TPowell,

Sorry I missed your response. I did use the Extras test just to help reinforce my understanding. Honestly, when I took the exam, the simulation section from GCGA really helped. Without that, I would not have passed. If I had to choose between the two, I'd focus on the simulations. Obviously your mileage may vary, but yeah I was doing the questions until I got at least a 90%.
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I loved the Darril Gibson online material! Congrats!
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! Congratulations! Did you think it was harder, easier or about the same as the N+? I'm asking because I'm studying for the Security+ and I just took the N+ a few weeks ago.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Congrats!
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @GeekyChick,

In some ways I think it was more difficult than N+ because there is a lot more material that is covered on Sec+. I honestly believe that having the Premium content from Darril Gibson really helped, especially the performance based questions, which were pretty much on the exam in some variant or another. If I didn't make that investment, I wouldn't have passed.

VV5
    J.D. Candidate (2L)