Network + or A+?

fastfurious123fastfurious123 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I want to attend WGU but since I don't have any experience, I was told I would need either Comptia Network+ or A+. The admission counselor recommended that I should take Network+ because I would have to take only 1 exam while I would have to take 2 exams for the A+.

I've just did some research and it looks like Network+ is very tough. Since I don't have any experience, I'm a little worried. Which one should I take? Thank you

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any practical IT experience? If not, A+ is a good starting point. Network+ is an entry level certification. If you have some idea about how networks "work" and the terminology, you should be okay. Mike Myers book is an excellent resource for Network+.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • fastfurious123fastfurious123 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your response!
    No, I have no IT experience. So I should take A+? Do you think 1 month would be enough to study for the exam?
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any practical IT experience? If not, A+ is a good starting point. Network+ is an entry level certification. If you have some idea about how networks "work" and the terminology, you should be okay. Mike Myers book is an excellent resource for Network+.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's hard to answer, honestly. When I started my certification track I already had a tiny bit of experience. I would say get an A+ book and study for the tests.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • cptpizzacptpizza Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    True that A+ is two exams. However, at WGU, they give you credit for your certifications. A+ is 4 Credit units for each half of the exam, so that's 8 credits toward your degree when you go in. Network +, while also an entry level certification, is only worth 4 CUs.

That said, the exams cost money and WGU gives you vouchers for your first two attempts at the exams offered in the course, so it could potentially save you money if you can get through the material fast enough after you are accepted to WGU.

Also, take a look at the professor Messer videos. He offers free online videos for both certifications. Check them out and you can get an idea of the material offered with each certification and make your decision. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for your detailed reply! It was very helpful. I've decided to get the A+ certification
    cptpizza wrote: »
    True that A+ is two exams. However, at WGU, they give you credit for your certifications. A+ is 4 Credit units for each half of the exam, so that's 8 credits toward your degree when you go in. Network +, while also an entry level certification, is only worth 4 CUs.

That said, the exams cost money and WGU gives you vouchers for your first two attempts at the exams offered in the course, so it could potentially save you money if you can get through the material fast enough after you are accepted to WGU.

Also, take a look at the professor Messer videos. He offers free online videos for both certifications. Check them out and you can get an idea of the material offered with each certification and make your decision. Good luck!
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No Experience, you would be beyond super lost on the net+
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    No experience = A+

If you study every single day for at least 1 hour, you should be able to attain your A+ in a month.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • ming746ming746 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly the A+ just looks good on a resume I! Not saying its useless nkor is it super easy but depending on what area of IT you are wanting to work in you may need electives to gain your higher end Microsoft certs. The A+ and Net+ both qualify.

I took and achieved both certs. I had to take net+ twice before I nailed it but I'd say over all that Net+ has more real world value and is a great prerequisite If you want to get into networking.

Just be sure what track yoiu plan to take and what your objectives are cause you don't want to spend a lot of time studying and getting a cert that won't do you any good.

Best of luck mate!
    Thank you guys for the replies! I've decided to take the A+
  • neochanges1neochanges1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took the A+ and got some really good scores. I have 0 IT experience but I've been building computers since I was young so I have a general idea on how stuff works. Exam cram 901/902 is a pretty good refresher too if you have some idea about computers.
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 month is a very unrealistic timescale if you have little to no experience.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE