Need opinion of this lab equipment on Craigslist

wseyllerwseyller Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Currently just starting the ICND2 stage. Would like to buy some lab equipment. Wondering if I'd be crazy not to snatch it up, or it is decent, or maybe it is not a great value. Probably have to drive about 30/45 min. to get it. It has been listed for about a month now. I haven't inquired yet.

For $200 firm

Includes all cables (ethernet, cross over, roll over, serial to eth, and usb to eth for connecting). Also have CD rom with IOS images

- QTY 3 :2950 switches
- QTY 1 : 3560 POE switch
- QTY 2 : 2610 routers
- QTY 1 : 2811 router
- QTY 3 : 1720 routers
- QTY 1 : 24 port patch panel
- QTY 1 : APC transfer switch (power)
- QTY 3 : 1142N Access points
- QTY 1 : desktop rack
- QTY 2 : cable management

Comments

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say it is ok. Not good, not bad either. It is acceptable, even good in some respects for the ccna exam. But, it depends on what you plan on doing after you pass the ccna. lots of certs after the ccna exam require version 15 with an advanced feature set. And, a lot of this equipment cant run version 15 of the ios. So, maybe you are looking to just use it for a while, get your ccna and then sell it. labs are sold in sync with when people are studying in school. So, they sell a lot faster in January (they are looking for equipment to finish the school year) then July (they are on summer break or looking for a job). And, being it hasn't sold for a month where you live, you might be owning it for a while.

The main thing you need to know is what version and feature set of the ios are the routers running. you'd want at least version 12.4 of the ios. and at least the advsecurity feature set as this supports the security features. Better is the advipservices feature set that supports the security feature set and also ipv6. And, adventerprise would be the best as it supports everything. But, it also requires the most ram and flash memory. So, it either has to come with the ios you want or you need to include the cost of memory if you need to increase how much memory the router has to support the ios that you want to run.

these switches don't support rapid spanning tree or multiple spanning tree which your going to want for the ccnp exam
    also can't run version 15 of the ios on these

- QTY 1 : 3560 POE switch
    nice to have poe if you going to be doing voip or wireless
    cant boot version 15 of the ios from flash, but you can from a tftp server.

- QTY 2 : 2610 routers
    these are 2600xm routers, so you can run version 12.4 of the ios if they have enough memory. So, ask about that

- QTY 1 : 2811 router
    This router can run version 15 of the ios. but you need at least 128mb flash card to load it. So, find out if it does

- QTY 3 : 1720 routers
    not really useful as routers, but can be used as end point/hosts when labbing.

- QTY 1 : 24 port patch panel
    - QTY 1 : APC transfer switch (power)

- QTY 3 : 1142N Access points
    hope you want to do wireless

- QTY 2 : cable management
    is there really a second rack?

you have plenty of serial ports and if it comes with cables, your good to start labbing.

This lab can be good for the ccna. But, after that it is a bit inadequte. This equipment is on the old side of things. And, is almost too old. If you enjoy playing with real equipment and doing lots of labs, you can certainly have lots of fun with this equipment.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    clarson wrote: »
    these switches don't support rapid spanning tree or multiple spanning tree which your going to want for the ccnp exam

The 2950 does support rapid spanning tree and multiple spanning tree.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well from the cisco 2950 configuration guide:
    Catalyst 2950 Desktop Switch Software Configuration Guide, 12.1(11)YJ4 - Configuring RSTP and MSTP [Cisco Catalyst 2950 LRE Series Switches] - Cisco

This chapter describes how to configure the Cisco implementation of the IEEE 802.1W Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) and the IEEE 802.1S Multiple STP (MSTP) on your switch. To use the features described in this chapter, you must have the enhanced software image (EI) installed on your switch.

And, those particular 2950 switches shown in the pictures can only run the standard software image. So, they can not run the enhanced software image and therefore, can not run rapid spanning tree or multiple spanning tree.

There are several models of the 2950 that can run the enhanced software image. Such as the c/g/t models. Those switches in the picture are not any of those models.

And, with some more research, I found I'm not exactly right.
    According to the documentation, the RSTP became supported in Standard Image since the IOS version 12.1(20)EA2. Versions 12.1(19)EA1 and earlier support the RSTP only in EI mode. The latest IOS version for 2950 switches is 12.2(22)EA14 (this is a typo, they meant 12.1(22)EA14) and this is the version I recommend upgrading to.

So, it depends on the version of ios that you are running. I hope they are running a version that does
  • wseyllerwseyller Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks, for all the info. I may pass on this because of the the info provide. Don't think I want to deal with all that. If I get some later I may just piece it together looking for specific items. I'm surviving with PT/GNS3 for now.