Passed 1CND1 100-105 Today - My experience and materials used

rolando3321rolando3321 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
This was my first Cisco certification attempt and I was very happy to come out with my 860 score.

I always like to go with two different books (authors) when going for my certification. I went with the following:

Wendell Odom's 100-101 CCENT and the 100-201 CCNA.
Todd Lammle's CCNA Routing and Switching Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120

It was nice having two different layouts (and having the 2 cert version and the "compact")

My CompTIA certs were going to expire in July 2016 and I decided to renew them, so I had to divert from the CCNA for awhile.

In October, I decided to get serious about getting my CCNA and decided to buy the new version of the books. I was frustrated with the idea of having to buy new books for the newer version of the certification, and I think and still believe that I could have made it work. That said, I did decide to buy the new version and just went with Wendell Odom's:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide
CCNA Routing and Switching ICND2 200-105 Official Cert Guide

Other sources used (highly recommend taking a look):
Routergods - https://www.youtube.com/user/routergods
http://packetlife.net/library/****-sheets/ -- very good summary of various topics

Sorry for my long explanation of books.....

Prepping for the CCENT was a roller coaster. I thought at times that I had really evolved my knowledge and would start to take some of Odom's practice quizzes (that came with his book) and I would get 60-80%. I didn't want to memorize the answers so i would quickly stop taking questions and got back to reading. This game of highs and lows went on for the last 3 months!

Finally, I got tired of it and decided to just go for the CCENT. I really didn't think I would pass, I did around 200-300 practice questions the entire time (again, 60-80%) I actually just stopped taking practice questions over a month ago.

Eventually my study routine involved..... Topic A. Can I do this on a router? no.. okay read up on it and do it in packet tracer and on real gear (3x2901 router and 2x2950L2 switch and a 3560L3 switch) I only used one router and one switch for this certification. Packet tracer was just a great tool because I could create and scale a lab so quickly. I would create my own labs or if I was watching a youtube video of someone else teaching; I would make up different IP's.

I learned a lot! from just thinking and creating a lab in packet tracer. Packet tracer is great but then you find that several commands are missing and that is where using the real gear helped.

Final Thoughts: I have not cared to get the certification; as much as the desire to "just want to know how to do it". So for those looking for a wide variety of prep questions: Just ask yourself, do I know how to program a switch to do this.... or can I do this. If not, then read and do some labs :)

Final, final note!!!!! My buddy has no certs and is a Network engineer at an ISP.... They have been needing people for some time and he said "I know you can figure it out and look up the solution....but you can't be learning EVERYTHING on the fly. " It wasn't that I couldn't wing it until I made it, but more of a ...get a solid foundation so that you can be productive at while filling in the gaps. This was over a year ago and at any point I could have asked for an interview at any time and more than likely would have gotten in. However, I feel the way I'm doing it... is the right way for me.

Comments

• Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    great job! Congrats!
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice Job!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Brilliant, congrats!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Excellent News Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.