taking the CASP in a week !!!!!!!

Markos4Markos4 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am concerned as i have seen how many of you have failed. This is my first post here and Im a new member so Hi everyone! Id like to know if i need any more resources for the CASP i have read Pearson's CASP book, Cybrary video series and am finishing the Sibex book too. read Pearson's book twice, wrote notes as well in both the book and cybrary's videos. i have no real world experience in networking or security however. im a Computer Science student however and have a helpdesk job as well as A+ and Net+ certs. I skipped sec+ because honestly the material was so easy to learn, so basic. I just went straight to the CASP after reading a SEC+ book and realizing how easy the test was. I have been studying for 4 months. but if you have any resources you would like to share with me please let me know
I actually found Cybrary thanks to you guys so I know this community is really helpful. thanks and I hope I pass that damn exam cause Im a broke college student and as soon as im done with this cert im focusing on school and my hobbies again icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Comments

• ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Markos4 wrote: »
    I am concerned as i have seen how many of you have failed. This is my first post here and Im a new member so Hi everyone! Id like to know if i need any more resources for the CASP i have read Pearson's CASP book, Cybrary video series and am finishing the Sibex book too. read Pearson's book twice, wrote notes as well in both the book and cybrary's videos. i have no real world experience in networking or security however. im a Computer Science student however and have a helpdesk job as well as A+ and Net+ certs. I skipped sec+ because honestly the material was so easy to learn, so basic. I just went straight to the CASP after reading a SEC+ book and realizing how easy the test was. I have been studying for 4 months. but if you have any resources you would like to share with me please let me know
    I actually found Cybrary thanks to you guys so I know this community is really helpful. thanks and I hope I pass that damn exam cause Im a broke college student and as soon as im done with this cert im focusing on school and my hobbies again icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Well, How are you doing to the Pearson Practice Exams? They are about half as difficult as the questions on the actual exam. If you can deal with ambiguity pretty well and understanding what is conceptually most important then you should be OK. I don't know how valuable CASP will be to you without prior experience.
  • dandadynamitedandadynamite Member Posts: 51 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am taking my CASP in a week as well, I have been studying religiously these past 3-4 months, and while the material is extremely difficult, I am starting to understand the concepts and principles and feel as good as Ive ever been about it. Im going to give it a shot. Good luck to you!!
  • Markos4Markos4 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im getting 80%-85% on the Pearson practice exams :/ and as far as the value of the cert, I just wanted to get the three comptia certs A+, N+, and Sec+ but like i said Sec+ seemed like really basic material so I just skipped it. I would have some options as well, I like all fields of IT so it might be really helpful in the future if i go into infoSec. Also Im not really thinking in applying to any InfoSec jobs as of now. plan to get a networking job first and depending on my options ill decide to go for networking or security
    I am taking my CASP in a week as well, I have been studying religiously these past 3-4 months, and while the material is extremely difficult, I am starting to understand the concepts and principles and feel as good as Ive ever been about it. Im going to give it a shot. Good luck to you!!
    yeah there are alot of acronyms
    to learn!! i will use quizlet to memorize them all later this week! good luck to you too and if you want to, we can ask each other a few questions to see if were both prepared. if you have time that is.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Markos -

I get that you want something more challenging but let me point out a few key things for you to consider.
    If you've been studying for the CASP and aren't planning to go into security, It won't do as much for you as the SEC+ would at this point. Additionally, the SEC+ would complete the CompTIA Tri-fecta for you and that's probably more valuable. Lastly, the CASP is more expensive than the SEC+ is, and since you've been studying for the CASP the SEC+ should be a breeze. Just my .02.

Good luck in what you plan to do.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Markos -

I get that you want something more challenging but let me point out a few key things for you to consider.
    If you've been studying for the CASP and aren't planning to go into security, It won't do as much for you as the SEC+ would at this point. Additionally, the SEC+ would complete the CompTIA Tri-fecta for you and that's probably more valuable. Lastly, the CASP is more expensive than the SEC+ is, and since you've been studying for the CASP the SEC+ should be a breeze. Just my .02.

Good luck in what you plan to do.
    Yeah i get what youre saying but Im more than 80% done with my CASP study and I thought about that too but i asked myself what's the point of getting a really easy cert when you can go for the next one and go double or nothing lol to me thats like going for comTIA's IT essentials when you can actually choose to sit for the A+ even if its harder. Thanks though because you gave me some good advice but im planning on risking it all and go for the big shot lol :/
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    Yeah i get what youre saying but Im more than 80% done with my CASP study and I thought about that too but i asked myself what's the point of getting a really easy cert when you can go for the next one and go double or nothing lol to me thats like going for comTIA's IT essentials when you can actually choose to sit for the A+ even if its harder. Thanks though because you gave me some good advice but im planning on risking it all and go for the big shot lol :/

Because a lot of jobs in the government and even outside the government require the Security +. I've literally had companies ask me if I have the security + and when I respond with "I am CASP certified." they repeat the question.

CompTIA has really kicked up of the level of difficulty with the Security +. I studied it for a month. I Aced every practice exam known to man on it. Went in confident and failed the first time. So, I wouldn't stop studying for the CASP obviously, but pass or fail the CASP, I would highly recommend you go and complete the Security + just so you can check that box on the application.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    yeah if i go into the sec field I might end up sitting for the exam but I need to take the CASP first, now that i have gone into hardcore study mode for the last couple of months lol. If I dont pass the first time its going to be depressing as I dont have the money to pay for another exam. Everyone keeps reminding me how hard the exam is , I just hope my next posts is a "CASP certified" post lol. if not i wont be able to attempt the exam til the summer :/ After CASP Im going for the CCNA and thats it until i get more real world experience in IT.
    I have one more question guys! do you think reading a SSCP book help me ?? as far as i know thats more of a technical exam so it might come helpful do you think?
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Disclosure: I haven't taken the SSCP or the CASP.

I'd stick to the CASP materials as primary resources. If you're struggling in some areas and can to check out the SSCP/CISSP materials to get a different interpretation. I find multiple sources valuable but too many resources can be a distraction.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
    Disclosure: I haven't taken the SSCP or the CASP.

I'd stick to the CASP materials as primary resources. If you're struggling in some areas and can to check out the SSCP/CISSP materials to get a different interpretation. I find multiple sources valuable but too many resources can be a distraction.

Yeah youre right. I might get some ISC thinking and might misinterpret compTIA questions on the day of the exam :/ thank you for the advice !!!
    I have one more question guys! do you think reading a SSCP book help me ?? as far as i know thats more of a technical exam so it might come helpful do you think?

The CASP questions are wordy. Any resource will benefit you. The simulations on the CASP are pretty in-depth so I would recommend touching up on your networking.

Follow my OSCP Thread!
    Im getting 80%-85% on the Pearson practice exams :/ and as far as the value of the cert, I just wanted to get the three comptia certs A+, N+, and Sec+ but like i said Sec+ seemed like really basic material so I just skipped it. I would have some options as well, I like all fields of IT so it might be really helpful in the future if i go into infoSec. Also Im not really thinking in applying to any InfoSec jobs as of now. plan to get a networking job first and depending on my options ill decide to go for networking or security

Im right around the 75%-80% range as well,I feel once I can get around the 90%-95% range on a practice test consistently and be able to answer and understand EVERY question, ill be ready
  • Mr.FeddMr.Fedd Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took CASP Today!!
  • Mr.FeddMr.Fedd Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Failed!! Any suggestions?? The exam stopped about over halfway through but the simulations were okay but one or two were difficult! The material was far from what I was studying in the sybex book.
    Mr.Fedd wrote: »
    Failed!! Any suggestions?? The exam stopped about over halfway through but the simulations were okay but one or two were difficult! The material was far from what I was studying in the sybex book.

Well, what did the score report tell you that your weak points were? The Pearson book was a good overview, but a lot of it is experience practically implementing the technologies. I found it more difficult than the CISSP.

That Sybex Book ALONE CANNOT prepare you for the exam. I figured that out about 2 months into my study prep for the exam. Felt like I was missing a HUGE chunk of material when I was taking practice tests, like I knew maybe 50%, and I was in that Sybex book religiously for about 2 months,I had been thru that book 4 times. The Pearson book goes into WAY MORE detail as far as the study material, concepts, and terms. Its like Heaven and Earth. Going thru that in book in class, helped me to understand the material A LOT BETTER. Also, Cybrary.IT, has a lot of helpful videos for CASP,as well as an online course. And Skillport can help if you can get access.
    What's your background? Seasoned IT Professional, or a newbie?

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The report should tell you the areas you were weak in. Outside of the report you should have a feel on what you think you may be weak in based on how you felt about certain topics/questions.

Do you have any other networking/security certifications? What about real world experience? The CASP is not intended to an entry level certification so it is aimed at those who have some experience out in the field.

I know you said that you skipped the Sec+ because it was too easy but the CASP is a significant jump from the Sec+.

So, if my math is correct, this is your day to take the test. Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favor....

do you have a background in IT?
    So you did not get to finish it??
    That Sybex Book ALONE CANNOT prepare you for the exam. I figured that out about 2 months into my study prep for the exam. Felt like I was missing a HUGE chunk of material when I was taking practice tests, like I knew maybe 50%, and I was in that Sybex book religiously for about 2 months,I had been thru that book 4 times. The Pearson book goes into WAY MORE detail as far as the study material, concepts, and terms. Its like Heaven and Earth. Going thru that in book in class, helped me to understand the material A LOT BETTER. Also, Cybrary.IT, has a lot of helpful videos for CASP,as well as an online course. And Skillport can help if you can get access.

What about Pearson book, Sibex book and Cybrary??? is that enough for the exam as someone with no real world experience but the A+ and Net+ certs?
    Ertaz wrote: »
    So, if my math is correct, this is your day to take the test. Good luck! May the odds be ever in your favor....

I have not taken it i was planning on taking it but backed off thanks to what everyone was saying haha. I still plan on taking it but seems like i need to go even further. also i just got a new job so its a lil bit harder to study now but it can be done. ill start raw memorization of all terms in the Pearson book this week! :) thank you

Pearson Book will help you a lot more than the Sybex book , it goes into more detail, but I would suugest reading both books thoroughly to get as much information as you can, ANYTHING helps, Cybrary videos will also be a huge help
    What about Pearson book, Sibex book and Cybrary??? is that enough for the exam as someone with no real world experience but the A+ and Net+ certs?

Pearson Book will help you a lot more than the Sybex book , it goes into more detail, but I would suugest reading both books thoroughly to get as much information as you can, ANYTHING helps, Cybrary videos will also be a huge help
    thank you , i just hope the exam doesnt hit me with acronyms not prreviously seen on the book :0
    Im going to take mine Next Friday, Ive been cramming and quizzing myself, and I been feeling better about it lately
    thank you , i just hope the exam doesnt hit me with acronyms not prreviously seen on the book :0

The acronyms aren't what will get you, it's the nuanced "best answer" questions dealing with specific technologies and how they are implemented. The simulations are pretty basic, but you have to have solid level of understanding around what they are asking for.
    The acronyms aren't what will get you, it's the nuanced "best answer" questions dealing with specific technologies and how they are implemented. The simulations are pretty basic, but you have to have solid level of understanding around what they are asking for.

Just got finished with this exam, the simulations and terms isn't what will kill you, it's the multiple choice/best answer questions. Without understanding the concepts of CASP and what the questions are asking, you won't pass