How many hours did you study a week when you attended WGU?

Hello there. How many hours did you study a day when you were attending WGU? I been studying about 12-15 hours and thinking of bumping it up to 30 a week (which equals to 6 hours from Monday to Friday, taking weekend off of course). I don't have a job and am a full time student. I want to finish as fast as possible. I have about 72 credits left. Please share your opinion. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I spent around 12-15 hours per week in my undergrad at WGU. However, in my last term maybe 20 hrs per week from what I remember in my journey. This was mostly due to my last term involving the capstone and life. As for the graduate degree I'm currently pursuing at WGU I would say around 10-15 hrs a week maybe give or take. I work full-time so that is involved in my calculations.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently doing the MBA:ITM course and am studying 13+ hours a week. Mind you I have a full-time job, family and other commitments so I don't think I can do more than that. My advice to is is that if you have no job or no other commitments on your time, bump up the studying time to get it done as quickly as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Thank you mzx380. Your advice are truly appreciated. :)
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I currently maintain 15-20 hours a week with a fulltime gig and family. If you arent working, why arent you putting in 8 hour days studying/working on coursework? that way going back into the workforce won't be much of a shock/change to acclimate to and you should be able to get done quicker... with the work/family restraints, I knocked out 39 CUs last semester ( I set a target of 30 CUs min a semester to complete in 3 semesters)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm fortunate (unfortunate?) in that I have a lot of free time at work, so anywhere around 3-4 hours in the day and then a few hours at night and several hours on the weekends.

Finished out my last term with 31 units in three months for the undergrad. I just started the third and final term for my masters, but I've been taking some REALLY long breaks (October 1 to December 15 was the last one). With my study schedule, I could have probably finished the masters in a year if I had more motivation.

Search for "ratbuddy", he did something around 100 or so units in a single term by committing every waking hour, just as an example of what can be done when not working and devoting all your time to school.
    @jcundiff, I think you are right (Thankyou for your advice). I should start to do 8 hours per day. I hope to make it a habit. I was thinking of breaking it down 2 hours study, 2 hours break, and repeat until I get 8 hours a day.
    If i can do 8 hours, I believe I can finish 72 credits in 3 Term.

@GSXR750K2, Thanks for your input. I will search ratbuddy and see what he did. 100 Credit is very extreme studying by the way.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont get to put in too many. I put about 10. I have about 5 classes left.
    snunez889, how long did it take you at that pace? How many terms did you do?
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It varied depending on the classes. One term I did 21 units, others I only completed 13-16. There were some weeks where I didnt touch WGU work and other were I put in a few hours. I transferred in with credits, and have taken a few breaks in between terms as well. My goal wasn't to finish the quickest, I work full time and study other topics that will improve my market worth. Plus I do travel and enjoying spending free time with the family.
    snunez889, Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your response.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mzx380 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the MBA:ITM course and am studying 13+ hours a week. Mind you I have a full-time job, family and other commitments so I don't think I can do more than that. My advice to is is that if you have no job or no other commitments on your time, bump up the studying time to get it done as quickly as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted
    If you don't have a job....studying and class work is your job. That means dedicate at least 40 hours between all of it and keep that discipline. If you are good on current subjects, expand what you are studying.
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    According to my productively timer, I'm studying about 1 hour a day =0
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Masters from WGU ~ 5 - 10 hours a week.
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    @jcundiff, I think you are right (Thankyou for your advice). I should start to do 8 hours per day. I hope to make it a habit. I was thinking of breaking it down 2 hours study, 2 hours break, and repeat until I get 8 hours a day.
    If i can do 8 hours, I believe I can finish 72 credits in 3 Term.

@GSXR750K2, Thanks for your input. I will search ratbuddy and see what he did. 100 Credit is very extreme studying by the way.

I don't recommend this unless that works for you. It gets tiring real fast to do stuff like that, and your social life takes a nosedive. I ended up not enjoying the material I studied when doing that many hours, which is very demoralizing. Also, didn't end up learning much more than when studying 3-5 hours a day, simply because of how much less efficient I was, but even worse is that I wouldn't REMEMBER much if I ever took a few days off.

What would end up happening is I'd do a week, maybe 2 really intensely and than end up skipping many days, which would make me forget a lot of stuff, and it was just a big waste of time for me for a few months.
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    Averaged 3-5 hours a day as well.icon_study.gif
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a self-studier and like to jump through forums to find my information too. Ultimately, I have to say that WGU will let you do whatever is humanly possible which is so liberating. Unfortunately, if you slack you can cost yourself a bunch of money. Depending on your drive, your family obligations, friends/social-life, money, job, hobbies, pets, sanity and health... not to mention your own ability to research and retain information (which of course varies for everyone), then what's right for you won't be exactly what worked for everyone else. I get you're trying to collect data points, which is great, but what is your own drive? No one is measuring it for you, you have to ask yourself. If money was a factor and I didn't have a job, then it would be different than if I had money and didn't have a job. My motivation might be different. If I could do 100 CU's in 6 months and knock out a bachelors for 3K I'd do it in a heart-beat! Thinking about how much time and money it would have saved me in my youth almost makes me sick.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    @DatabaseHead, That is impressive!

Getting in the right mindset prior to the work effort is key.
    Hey so I tried to study for 8 hours and I couldn't do it. I have to reduce it down to 2-3 hours a day. I was feeling depress and overwhelm. So I had to cut it down. But thanks for the advice you guys!
    Hey so I tried to study for 8 hours and I couldn't do it. I have to reduce it down to 2-3 hours a day. I was feeling depress and overwhelm. So I had to cut it down. But thanks for the advice you guys!

Have you tried in 25 minute increments? I forgot what the strategy is called, but the gist is every 25 minutes you take a 5 minutes break.
    Reading
    So do you do that about 19 times? That would equal to 8 hours right?
    So do you do that about 19 times? That would equal to 8 hours right?

I work full time, so I do not have the luxury of studying 8 hours, but I also struggle to study after work and I find that 2-3 hours of 25 minute increments works for me, as those few hours I'm really focus and take in everything I'm reading. I try to go straight 2-3 hours with no breaks, I burn out rather quickly and I do not take in the martial as well as I should which in turn, causes me to reread the same stuff over and over.
    Reading
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Work full time, wife, 2 kids under 3 years old. I study for 1-2 hours per night after the kids are asleep, and I usually try to get a 3-5 hour block on Saturday and Sunday. I also try to get some done during my lunch hour at work. So, probably close to 20+ hours per week.

I finished 51 CUs in my first term, and that included Linux+ and CCNA Security. Those two certs alone ate up over 3 months of time. My second term starts Wednesday, and I only have 18 CUs to go. I carried over 55 from my A.S. degree.

You just need to be disciplined and remind yourself why you're doing it. It also helps to think that every semester you take to finish is another $3k out of your pocket.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I am attending starting Feb 1, 2017 and I work full time and have little kids as well.
    So far 3 hours a day seems to be working for me. 1 in the morning before the kids get up. 1 during lunch at work. 1 at night (sometimes more). This way I get to also enjoy some me time that isnt ALL school at night but make good progress.

So far I have knocked out Intro to IT, IT Applications, IT Hardware so far and am about to do Linux + exam 1.
    I work full time, so I do not have the luxury of studying 8 hours, but I also struggle to study after work and I find that 2-3 hours of 25 minute increments works for me, as those few hours I'm really focus and take in everything I'm reading. I try to go straight 2-3 hours with no breaks, I burn out rather quickly and I do not take in the martial as well as I should which in turn, causes me to reread the same stuff over and over.

I wish I had this problem. What ends up happening to me is I get locked into something and next thing I know it's 12 am. Literally 8+ hours go away like the snap of a finger. It's really scary because as you can imagine my wife and kids get neglected. So I try to only do this once a week now, because when the engine starts it's very difficult to stop.
    You guys are disciplined! Great work! I gotta start doing that as well. Thank you! icon_study.gif
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm kind of a binge studier. I want to say I would do like.... zero studying for 3-4 weeks... Or just 5-6 hours a week. Then I'd study like 20-30 hours a week for 2-4 weeks or however long it took until I passed the cert. Rinse. Repeat.
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)