Replacing a DC

dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All. in my years of IT Admin, surprisingly enough, I have never swapped out a DC, (Only way back on a test environment) I have a remote office that has an old DC with 5 people connected. I have built a server and shipped it to the office, but I would like to replace the old DC using the same Domain name and DHCP and DNS. What are the steps need in order to do this work. I know I'm asking a silly question but its been years since I did something similar and I lack a little confidence.

Comments

• dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What OS? Basically you promote the new server to a DC and wait awhile to ensure all replication is completed then run dcpromo on the original DC to remove DC from its roles.

Curious, do you already have 2 DC's on the domain? If so then replication shouldn't be an issue as you will be leaving an existing one there. If you don't have at least 2 DC's then I would advise you to leave the existing one there and add the new one.

Google can be your best friend when it comes to this. Find a good source and follow their steps.
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You asked this question a few months ago and got good responses. I would go back and check out that thread.
  • dfrancdfranc Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ah yes, silly me. Thanks guys.