Options

Developing a certification plan

boatguy1982boatguy1982 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well I sat down and looked at all the books I have sitting around, and I realized something I have tons of information on certifications but I am kind of stuck in that brand new to IT phase where I want to learn everything so all the certs look appealing.

That's why I am calming myself down and coming here to ask you guys who actually have experience what is the ideal plan for certifications. I am thinking along this line but if I am way off let me know. I have alot of classword experience and hands on experience with the A+ objectives and alot of classes on networking with the Net+ objectives. The ideal dates and time I figure is added by each cert

A+
Hardware- Late Novemeber
OS - Mid December
Net+- Early Jan
Sec+ - Mid to late feb
70-270- Early april
70-290 - Early June
70-291- Early August
CCNA- Mid Novemeber
70-293- Early Jan 2008
70-294 Early Mar 2008

Does this sound like a feasible plan. I seem to pickup computer related knowledge pretty fast and this stuff is an actual passion to me not just an interest.

Thanks for your time.
-Phil

Comments

• Options
    Also is thw CWNA exam a feasible exam for me to persue especially with alot of companies introducing more and more wireless options to their infanstructure?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why do you need a plan? Start on A+ and see how it goes.Maybe you are one of those guys who likes to dream about certs, talk about certs, arrange cert books into alphabetical order, buy load of fancy coloured pens etc. It's time to stop the playing and start studying.Open the A+ book, skip the intro rubbish,go to chapter 1 and start reading.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    zenzenzenzen Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    *copies boatguy's exam schedule*

edit: ed I bought a fancy pen and 1 subject spiral notebook to study A+ icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Actually,

It’s not so much I need a plan, but rather that I want to make sure that I am going in the right direction. For example if you wanted to be an electrician the ideal path would be OJT cert, journeyman cert, apprentice cert ect. I know this because I have done this but I am unsure about the path to follow so that my certifications build upon one another so that I am studying in the most efficient manner. Naturally, one would go to the people who have achieved said experience and ask them for advice because otherwise if you go on your own inexperienced judgment you are setting yourself up for failure.

Hence why I asked your advice (well maybe not directly your), but if you want to crack jokes, that’s your prerogative just try be helpful in at least one sentence of your post alright? Btw, I assume you never needed any advice for the path of study in your It career?

Thanks,

Phil
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    A+
    Hardware- Late Novemeber
    OS - Mid December
    Net+- Early Jan
    Sec+ - Mid to late feb
    70-270- Early april
    70-290 - Early June
    70-291- Early August
    CCNA- Mid Novemeber
    70-293- Early Jan 2008
    70-294 Early Mar 2008

May I ask what your background is like?

I think in terms of IT certs, you have to ask yourself the cheesy questions:
    Where have you been?
    Where are you now?
    Where are you going?

It sounds like you have been working with Electronics. How about now? Are you already employed as a computer person? What part of IT would you like to work in, let's say 2 years from now?

A+ is a very natural start for many because many people start off as PC technicians, but could you afford to take the typical wage of such a position? Or will something "higher" be needed?

I would say focus on A+, Network+, and perhaps 70-270 first. Before you worry about the rest.
    MCSE might not even be around come 2008. And security isnt a light weight either, you might want to worry about that come a later time.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Big Horn,

Those are all good relevant questions. I either want to go into Network administration or into a software role. I am currently getting my degree in Information technology management (I am 4 classes away from it) and I love the networking side thus far.

I am going to get an additional degree and see what software is all about in theory. Although I am a hands on person so I will probably like hardware alot more.

I have an extensive background working on guided missile systems and telemetry systems and also heavy gun systems like the 5' gun weapon system. I have been doing side computer repair for about 3 years now additionally, I do customization of gaming PC's for gamers, such things as water and phase cooling for the systems.

I have a strong background in hardware, a medium background in software, and a theoretical book based knowledge in regards to networks, switches, and routers. Additionally, right now I am teaching myself server 2003.

Ideally, I hope to start a second job doing IT based work whether it be hardware or software just something to build documentable experience and gradually replace my current job with an IT based job as I really do not like my current profession. I would jump in and take a lower paying job but I have a family to support so that wouldn't be realistic.

I see what your saying about the certs, and I am working on A+ right now hope to take it the end of this month possibly. As far as MCSE, thats going away? I was going to work on that to gain knowledge of server operating systems.

Ideally, i'd say my plan looks like this part time helpdesk or field technician,, to progress to a network assistant. I'd say thats a reasonable development in 2 years time, after all I learned missile launching systems and telemetry systems in 4 months.

-Phil
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Alright, fair enough...information technology management, are you specializing in anything in particular? ERP, telecomm, systems, management?

networks and software, those are very different, you have to sort of decide ahead of time, it's pretty hard to be good with both, and start with both. They're very different streams, I am studying computer science, so I am restricted to a certain amount of software engineering courses, but for my electives, I have chosen all systems related.

MCSE/MCSA, or the whole MCP program in general is being restructured for the new Vista/ Longhorn server 07 technologies.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/default.mspx
    It's hard to say what's going to happen with MCSE 2000, and 2003. If you get it in time, it's still going to be a valid cert, but I am just saying it might not be around in time for you to take your 7 tests required for MCSE.

Since you are already practicing on win2k3, and you have a good background with hardware, I think that naturally puts 70-290, and A+ top on your list.

good luck~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Hey boatguy,

Bighorn has some very good advice for you. I would also tell you to not plan to far ahead. The path itself is reasonable but much of it will depend on your experience. The CCNA for example is not a test that I think you can just say " I will read the book and learn it". It is a bit more complicated than that. It is a good cert to have and will many doors for you especially if you go into any hardware or security area. Some of the other tests will take some hands on experience as well. There have been people that can take all the exams to get their MSCE in less than a year, but I think they are usually regarded as "paper" MSCEs. Some businesses will also wonder about a large number of certifications with little IT experience. I woul stick to going for 2 or three for a while. You do have some experience. I would suggest A+. an OS MCP, and Net+. That will show a good breadth of knowlege. The MSCA is only a step or two away from that.

Good Luck,
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    You might consider taking Security+ after 70-290 & 70-291.
    It's not a question of passing it, but rather that you will be more likely to understand the applicability of the information.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I would take the N+ right before you take the CCNA... Its the basic topics covered, will give you more of an insight.

When taking the microsoft track, I would stick to the order as much as possible. Topics overlap immensly. You can cut down on alot of re-studying that way. Keep it fresh in your mind.

If I had the choice again, I would have gone

A+
    N+
    CCNA
    MCSA and Sec+
    MSCE

Unless you plan on taking the CCNP as I do (hence I took CCNA last)
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    Just my two cents worth.

I went

A+ Hardware and OS at the same time
    Network+
    CST / CNST rollover for resume filler (search these forums for rollover)
    Security+
    70-270
    Wrapping up 70-290 now.

I did in that order as it adds A+ / N+ tward MCSA and S+ tward MCSE

As a side note I took a month off as I started a new job - with a full time job, family, etc etc - you can expect about a month to two months per test.

I do have a lot of experiance and have been in the IT world for a few years :D

Don't rush things - learn the material.
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Why do you need a plan? Start on A+ and see how it goes.Maybe you are one of those guys who likes to dream about certs, talk about certs, arrange cert books into alphabetical order, buy load of fancy coloured pens etc. It's time to stop the playing and start studying.Open the A+ book, skip the intro rubbish,go to chapter 1 and start reading.

honestly I like the idea of this answer :D

thanks for the kick in the pants.......lol

sometimes we spend more time planning than actually doing, I have been guilty of this, but, it's good to have an idea of what you want to do, and as you go about doing it, some things may change but at least you will have an idea..
    get back to studying!!!