Is Sybex wrong?

Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
I was reading my book last night, and I noticed that it says that you can setup a Mirroring and RAID-5 in XP pro, yet I remember that you can only do this one servers. MS even says it on there website.

Does anyone else have the MCDST by sybex? Am I crazy? I remember a question stating that you can do this.
WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I have the sybex mcdst book, I dont remember it saying that?

You can do striping on a non-system disk in xp pro, but mirror and raid 5 is only on win2k3 server.

I will check my sybex book when I get home. What page are you reading from?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • SirDragoSirDrago Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You cannot create mirrored volumes or RAID-5 volumes on Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition-based computers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I have the sybex mcdst book, I dont remember it saying that?

You can do striping on a non-system disk in xp pro, but mirror and raid 5 is only on win2k3 server.

I will check my sybex book when I get home. What page are you reading from?

I'll confirm when I get home.

Could you do it if you have a SCSI controller and software? I seem to remember being able to do that....
    WIP Vacation ;-)

orion82698 wrote:
    Could you do it if you have a SCSI controller and software? I seem to remember being able to do that....

If you're using a controller, despite SCSI or IDE, or SATA, you will be able to RAID 0/1/0+1/5/10 if the controller supports it, because you're implementing hardware RAID solution. I'm talking about implementing data redundacy built-in to Windows, as far as I know, and as confirmed with the link above, Winxp Pro only supports software based RAID 0. No Mirring nor RAID 5.
  • Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    orion82698 wrote:

If you're using a controller, despite SCSI or IDE, or SATA, you will be able to RAID 0/1/0+1/5/10 if the controller supports it, because you're implementing hardware RAID solution. I'm talking about implementing data redundacy built-in to Windows, as far as I know, and as confirmed with the link above, Winxp Pro only supports software based RAID 0. No Mirring nor RAID 5.

Exactly!!!

I'll check my book when I get home.

Thanks!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

• JAMiE132JAMiE132 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

I think you can use windows xp pro to create mirrored and raid 5 on servers via connecting remotely through computer management using disk management. I remember reading it in a book sometime, so I image that is what the sybex book is refering to
    There is only 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

CompTIA A+
    MCP
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    To satisfy my own curiousity, I just fooled around with diskpart to reinforce the opinion that it is not possible. When trying to create either a raid 5 or mirror:

"The command you entered is not available with this version of windows"
    I'm talking about implementing data redundacy built-in to Windows, as far as I know, and as confirmed with the link above, Winxp Pro only supports software based RAID 0. No Mirring nor RAID 5.

:o
    I was reading my book last night, and I noticed that it says that you can setup a Mirroring and RAID-5 in XP pro, yet I remember that you can only do this one servers. MS even says it on there website.

Does anyone else have the MCDST by sybex? Am I crazy? I remember a question stating that you can do this.

Hi there,

Windows xp professional resource kit third addition, page 503

The types of volumes and disks you create depend on the OS that you are running on the remote computer, not the local computer. e.g only the win2k server and win server 2003 support mirrored volumes and RAID 5 volumes. Therefore you can use a computer running windows xp professional to create mirrored or RAID 5 volumes on a remote computer running win2k server or win ser 2003.

Therefore that is what the sybex book would be referring to. I have read something similar in a Mike Meyers book.
    There is only 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

CompTIA A+
    MCP
    JAMiE132 wrote:
    Therefore you can use a computer running windows xp professional to create mirrored or RAID 5 volumes on a remote computer running win2k server or win ser 2003.
    Hi Bighornsheep,

I hope you didn’t get the wrong impression, I know that you are talking about implementing data redundancy built-in to Windows, and I know that windows xp does not support mirrored or RAID 5. My reply was to Orion82698 the person that created the post: IS SYBEX WRONG? My reply was to say that no sybex is not wrong and that you can setup up these types of RAIDs remotely, as it says in the windows xp pro resource kit third edition. So the easy reply would be to say no you can't, which would be correct, however the more informative reply would be to explain to Orion82698 yeah you are correct you can not create these types of RAID on an xp box, however did you know that you can remotely create these RAIDs on a server machine, using computer management from a win xp box.

CompTIA A+
    MCP
    JAMiE132 wrote:
    My reply was to say that no sybex is not wrong and that you can setup up these types of RAIDs remotely, as it says in the windows xp pro resource kit third edition. So the easy reply would be to say no you can't, which would be correct, however the more informative reply would be to explain to Orion82698

right, I knew exactly what you meant.
    JAMiE132 wrote:
    yeah you are correct you can not create these types of RAID on an xp box, however did you know that you can remotely create these RAIDs on a server machine, using computer management from a win xp box.

Which is why I bold faced the remote computer in your reply as I have quoted.