How do you state or ask for a certain range when interviewing.

ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm just curious how do you guys let the company your interviewing know how much money you want. I have been lucky with both companies I applied to after the military. first company the VP of HR asked how much i told her and she gave it to me what i asked for right there on the spot. my second company i told the hiring manger what i expected and she gave me 13k more than i asked.
has anyone ever had to negotiate?
I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

Comments

• broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I won't even waste my time with interviews unless my salary demands are doable for the company. It's a waste of my time and their's so I usually ask right away during the first HR screening. No particular method. I simply state what it would take for me to leave my current company.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Clm wrote: »
    my second company i told the hiring manger what i expected and she gave me 13k more than i asked.

That must have been a nice surprise! Personally, the last few companies I've told how much I wanted and they matched it right away. I've tried negotiating a couple times with companies that offered me lowered than what I asked for and never got what I wanted from them. One didn't budge at all, and the other moved up just a little bit. Didn't accept either of those two. (was upfront before the interviews on how much I expected too...icon_rolleyes.gif)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually start off with fairly broad range with the caveat it depends on a lot of factors in the first conversation. At least make sure we're in the same range before moving forward with interviews and wasting anyone's time. If we get closer to the offer stage and understand benefits etc., its usually discussed again in more detail. At this point they usually have a number they're shooting for and negotiations start there.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That must have been a nice surprise! Personally, the last few companies I've told how much I wanted and they matched it right away. I've tried negotiating a couple times with companies that offered me lowered than what I asked for and never got what I wanted from them. One didn't budge at all, and the other moved up just a little bit. Didn't accept either of those two. (was upfront before the interviews on how much I expected too...icon_rolleyes.gif)
    Yeah I was extremely surprised. I asked for a what i considered a nice jump it was 15k more then what i was making at the time so a total of 28k more than my previous job, a promotion and better benefits.
    I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• Matt2Matt2 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This time (in the last 2 weeks) I did it a little differently than I have in the past. I gave a number and said, that or more is ideal, less and I'll have to think hard. They met that number I gave. I of course would have liked more, but "that number" was a good fair number.
  • LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    broli720 wrote: »
    I won't even waste my time with interviews unless my salary demands are doable for the company. It's a waste of my time and their's so I usually ask right away during the first HR screening. No particular method. I simply state what it would take for me to leave my current company.

I agree. I ask the compensation range.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In most cases, one of two things will happen: they will give you the range, or they will ask you what your desired salary is and if that fits within the ballpark of what people make. It kind of stinks if they don't give you the range because you could end up coming in very low and find out the first day you know how to check your pay...but both happen. The longer you are in the industry, the easier it will be to command a certain salary and know what people are making in general.
  • CIPHERSTONECIPHERSTONE Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If they don't list the pay scale based on experience in the ad that's the first question you should ask before you go in. Its better for the company and you to not waste time unnecessarily.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    What is it they say about negotiations? The first to mention a number loses.

You can go full detective and map out the organisation, figure out where you will sit in the hierarchy, figure out the pay scales for people above and below you, find out what the market rate is for you position, and then ask for 1k less than your boss (on the assumption that they won't pay you more than your boss).

As others say, ask for a range as early as possible. Sometimes they will slip up and tell you their highest number, which is where you start your offer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I'm talking with a recruiter - they are usually very eager to disclose the range. But to be honest - I usually will just wait to learn more about the role first. Different roles may mean a lower initial compensation but if there is potential upside or other intangibles - I would still consider the role.

Generally - I don't discuss compensation until I have at least had one interview - I don't ever consider it a waste of time to talk - it could be a connection that comes in handy in the future. And it can be an opportunity to learn about an interesting company.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those of you who ask for a range and have gotten it or more, you are still shooting yourself in the foot. Say you ask for 60-70k and they give you 75k. How do you know they wouldnt pay you 85k? By saying your range first, you lose that shot at getting more. Short term and over the course of 5-10 years that can be a significant amount of money.

The difference in what people make is often due to their negotiating skills. I personally never mention a number and wont discuss compensation until i have an offer on the table. Only then do i have all the information needed to make that decision. Depending on the role, i may want more, or, if its perfect, i may accept less. Who knows. but i cant tell you that until i have gone through the entire interview process and have an offer and know all the benefits. Additionally, its at that point that i have much more leverage as i know that they dont want to continue the job search after finding the right guy.
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    If they ask me I set a floor. I am not considering any positions that pay less than this. If I have to ask them I will ask for a range. Salary is only 1 part of the compensation package and must take into account how difficult the job will be as well as how hard will it be for them to find someone to do it. It's not always about where you start, it's where you will be in a year or two. If you are in a competitive situation all else being equal they are going to choose the person who is asking less to start.