SEC504 hardware requirements

IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
This question is for anyone who has taken SEC504 recently, it looks like the laptop requirements recently changed on the site and now the USB wireless adapter is listed as mandatory. Is this accurate? I've reached out to support a few days ago and they just got back to me last night and said they have reached out to the instructor to clarify.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The ALFA is a popular and inexpensive line of USB 802.11 adapters widely used by pentesters.

Here's the next model up: Alfa 802.11b/g/n Long-Range USB Wireless Adapter - Hacker Warehouse
  • IaHawkIaHawk Member Posts: 188 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I still haven't heard back from them so I just ended up ordering the one they recommended off of Amazon with next day shipping for $31. I leave Sunday for training...beyond excited for this course!
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure why they want this unless your laptop doesn't have wireless built in. The challenge on Day 6 was conducted on a wired network. You have to be very careful when utilizing WiFi hacking tools, while you do want to learn how to use them, you do not want to run afoul of accidentally hacking into someone's network without permission. The point of the course it to learn how hackers operate so you can better defend your companies networks to stop them, Not to produce more hackers. :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I wasn't sure either, but I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for the class...we will see.
  • gwood113gwood113 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its because a vm needs a usb wireless stick to be promiscuous when you're using builtin wireless adapter as the host's main connection. My personal favorite is the TP-LINK N150. It's cheap and works well with Airmon-ng on Kali.
  • stephens316stephens316 Member Posts: 203 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will assume my wifi pineapple will meet this need icon_lol.gificon_cheers.gif
    Free Reading : History Books
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I signed up for the SEC504.
    I am doing the class via mentoring sessions.
    According to the instructor, the only time that device is needed is if your native host is Linux based. We will not be performing wireless attacks.

Are you doing the class via OnDemand or vLive ?
    I did the live class in New Orleans and it wasn't needed. I had a Windows 10 laptop and ran the Linux VM.
  • BillHooBillHoo Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tip: If you have a fresh windows build. Make sure you go thru all the software updates before the class! It kinda sucked when I was trying to go thru the labs and the machine was trying to install updates. Also ensure you have Adobe Acrobat .pdf reader installed beforehand.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BillHoo wrote: »
    Tip: If you have a fresh windows build. Make sure you go thru all the software updates before the class! It kinda sucked when I was trying to go thru the labs and the machine was trying to install updates. Also ensure you have Adobe Acrobat .pdf reader installed beforehand.

LOL, I had the same exact thing happen to me, I built a laptop for SANS 504, took an update in my hotel room the night before class, and wouldn't you know the damn thing Blue screened on me after rebooting. I spent a good hour trying to revert back to previous restore point. Was sweating that one.

When I went to Blackhat later that year, I had two laptops, fully updated and all the disks needed to rebuild the computer from scratch just in case.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hey, at least you showed up with a Windows machine. When I took 504 we had multiple people asking for Windows CD/USB or copies of VMs. Somehow they though the requirements were optional.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hey, at least you showed up with a Windows machine. When I took 504 we had multiple people asking for Windows CD/USB or copies of VMs. Somehow they though the requirements were optional.
    They are more like guidelines icon_wink.gif