CEH - Is it possible to take this while unemployed?

PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wanted to take the CEH about May of last year but decided to study for the CISSP instead. I would like to return to the CEH now for a couple of reasons. One, because it is a subject that interests me and I have quite enjoyed reading the Matt Walker book but also because it is a big chunk towards the CISSP CPE requirements.

Trouble is I am between contracts at the moment and it is unlikely I will move into a Ethical Hacking\Pen testing role so my question is is it possible any way to still do this cert?

Comments

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The cert is OK to get and will get you in the door, or receive a call / email from an HR department.

Good Luck.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Having a job or not is irrelevant. The requirement is providing proof of 2 years of information security experience. An old manager should be able to support whatever experience you claim.
  • PenguPengu Member Posts: 46 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's the problem as a contractor it is difficult to find a manager to vouch for me. My last line manager did not want the hassle - I had minimum contact with him anyway.

I guess this is not really workable - I will have to find something else to study.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2 years infosec experience is not required if you take EC-Council's official training.
    See https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html#ceh, Option 1
    Attend Official Training

If a candidate attends an official EC-Council training either at an Accredited Training Center, via the iClass platform, or at an approved academic institution, the candidate is eligible to attempt the relevant EC-Council exam without going through the application proces.
    Official training is very expensive in the UK and also totally incompatible with the way I like to learn. Give me some books a notebook and a laptop and I absorb stuff really well - put an instructor in front of me with a projector and I zone out within minutes.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you are in UK, you may want to check out CESG CREST
    Can start with CPSA reading materials, the books should keep you motivated. :)
    Mike, thanks for that, I have heard of CREST but never really looked into it. Cheers.