Options

Linux beginner, what do

MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Any advice on where to start for a linux beginner? Should I start with CompTIA's linux+ or is it ok if I jump right into redhat? The books aren't expensive on amazon and I was thinking about diving into one of them. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start here, its a free course and it is very very good! They will guide you on how to setup a small lab for free as well.

Go here, then scroll down to "Enterprise IT & Linux System Administration Training"
    https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses

The first 4 courses are free. LFS101 is legendary for starters! This is completely online, free, and is 40-60hrs of content!
    https://training.linuxfoundation.org/linux-courses/system-administration-training/introduction-to-linux
    https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-linux-linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-0

Then once you are done with this intro course, consider LFCS exam over Linux+.

Goodluck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    MashoTG wrote: »
    Any advice on where to start for a linux beginner? Should I start with CompTIA's linux+ or is it ok if I jump right into redhat? The books aren't expensive on amazon and I was thinking about diving into one of them. Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Get started with RHCSA and Linux Academy...you can thank me later.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have a machine running any Linux distro yet?
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good information.
  • Options
    MashoTGMashoTG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks chrisone and jock, good info. ill tackle what you guys mentioned asap. and Node man, all I got is kali. I read a book on it that was entry level and played around for a bit. but thats it.

thanks again all.
  • Options
    scottctaylor12scottctaylor12 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would highly suggest going for the RHCSA! This exam is very practical and you learn the necessities of being a system administrator. I had never touched linux a year ago, and after studying for the RHCSA I am now confident with Linux. Here is what I would recommend you do:
    1. Download VirtualBox/VMware Player
    2. Download CentOS 7 minimal ISO
    3. Visit certdepot.net
    4. Practice! Practice! Practice!
    Learn each objective one-by-one and you'll have the hang of it in no time!