Options

Static routes questions

txn41655txn41655 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi I am still new in networking. I have a few questions:

1. is there any use to create static routes on R1 to "wan network" 192.168.1.0 ? if so why?
2. if I set a default route (ex.0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0/0/0) on R1 is it necessary to create other static routes(ex.192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 s0/0/0) in the same interface ?thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure what you mean by non directly connected static route.

And yes you can have a default route and a static route pointing to the same outgoing interface. If a packet doesn't match any of your static or dynamically learned routes it would be dropped unless you had a default route so it acts like a backup.

Edit: There are scenarios where you would set a default route and it would be unecessary to add static routes. An example would be a stub network where all traffic is always going to the same next hop router.
  • Options
    txn41655txn41655 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i simply meant a static route to the wan network 192.168.1.0
  • Options
    WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    txn41655 wrote: »
    i simply meant a static route to the wan network 192.168.1.0
    I guess it would depend on the traffic you expect to R1 to send to that network. The only thing I can think of is routing protocol messages but you would have routing protocols learn the route dynamically in that case.

If you're not using routing protocols then a static route to that network would allow you to reach it for management purposes, for example if the R2's S0/0/0 port went down you could telnet/SSH into s0/0/1 over the WAN network.

I can't think of much else though, maybe someone else knows more icon_smile.gif