CISSP 2nd Attempt - Passed!

mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just got back from the test, and happy to say I passed!

Study Materials for this attempt:
Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition CISSP Study Guide
Eric Conrad's 3rd Edition 11th Hour
ISC2 Sybex Official CISSP Practice Tests
CBT Nuggets Trial on CISSP video library
CISSPexampractice Website

I must give everyone thanks who helped me get out of the demotivational slump and provided tips in my previous thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/124271-cissp-1st-attempt-691-a.html
I seriously could have not done it without inspiration from you guys. Also must give thanks to Mike7 for showing me the "Why most of them fail CISSP" thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/117111-why-most-them-fail-cissp-exam.html

Mainly because whenever I got stuck at a question, I recalled havoc64's post about focusing on what the question wants.

I scheduled my test back on Dec 27th and started studies again around Jan 5th.

Went through Eric's CISSP Study Guide once over with my notes and did a more detailed read-over to make sure I remember what I forgot and went further to understand the concepts behind it.

Over the weeks I did the CISSPexampractice domain test practices (15 questions per domain) to see where my strengths/weaknesses were.

I picked up the ISC2 Sybex practice tests around the 16th of Jan and did all the domains by the 22nd. I did not do the two 250 question practice exams they provided, just each domain which gave 100 questions each domain (800 in total).

The questions I got wrong I looked into the reasons and concepts as to why they were considered the better or correct answer.
Most of the domains averaged around a 73-78% except Domains 4 and 6 being below 60%.

Finally during 25th and 26th, I watched all the videos on CBT Nuggets for CISSP and listened to Keith's concepts.

The day before the test I was stressing so much and taking the cisspexampractice tests (the 40 question presets) and trying to obtain a better score over 70%. I then skimmed through a bit of the 11th hour, didn't exactly help much but I was stressing...

Woke up at 5am today, had breakfast and went to the test location around 6:30am and studied until the test at 8am.

During the test I took 2 breaks, one at the 125th question and 2nd after finishing the last 125.
It was incredibly nerve-wracking! I was going through the reviewing flagged and changed most of them once. Before I decided to go through reviewed flags again, I just said to myself "NO MORE 2nd GUESSING!" and just ended the exam with less than 2 hours to spare.

I went to the front desk and I was too scared to turn my paper over to see the score so I had the receptionist turn it over. All that stress just flew away.

Overall study time - I started in Jan 5th and studied for 8-10 hours a day, so 200+ hours. But if I had to include the studies when I took the first test, it would be well over 600 hours of studies.
As far as taking practice questions I think I took around 2500? That would be including from first test attempt.

From Jan 5th to today I took around 1100 practice questions.

The journey is just beginning, but I am one step closer towards becoming a pentester!

Comments

• jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats! You have slayed the beast :) no comes hurry up and wait lol

I was the same way with turning the paper over, the proctors wouldnt do it for me icon_sad.gif took me 4-5 minutes to get the courage to do so
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Congrats, I passed on Monday, it was quite brutal
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Congrats, I passed on Monday, it was quite brutal

Yeah, it was brutal. It's time to take a break and see what certification to head for now!
    I wish everyone else going for the CISSP good luck. Study hard and in time I know anyone dedicating to it can pass the test!

I only have 1 year of IT experience for those wondering (mentioned in my first thread).
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    Congrats! I know that feeling all too well. Wow, just one year of IT experience? So you'll be an Associate then?
  • mhyrulemhyrule Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    papadoc wrote: »
    Congrats! I know that feeling all too well. Wow, just one year of IT experience? So you'll be an Associate then?

That is correct! I still have a long way to go though. There are a couple of fields I consider pursuing, but it's more of which one peaks the interest.