Pursuing Certifications with technology not used at current position

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask the people here about this. I have a CCNA and was thinking about pursuing the CCNP but hesitating because I dont actually use Cisco at all at my current position. I understand that the concepts may be valuable but ultimately if im looking for another position, would it de value the certification if I dont actually use that technology or concepts in my current position? Therefore, would it be a waste of time to pursue that certification(time and money)? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It really all depends. If you're looking to get the certification and plan on applying for a job that you would be utilizing the technology covered by that certification it may not be a waste of time if you're able to secure a job shortly after passing that exam. However, I could see it hurting you if you wait a year or so after passing it without any relevant job experience. What is your current job role? Any kind of IT experience is still going to set you apart from someone applying who has no experience at all.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation. My job title says one thing and my actual tasks are quite different. I go for additional certifications to get a better job doing something I like.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think either way is fine. I personally don't like doing this because I don't feel like I am maximizing my learning. However I can see it the other side too, if you don't like your job and you want to move into something else it can help.
  • JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    "It really all depends. If you're looking to get the certification and plan on applying for a job that you would be utilizing the technology covered by that certification it may not be a waste of time if you're able to secure a job shortly after passing that exam. However, I could see it hurting you if you wait a year or so after passing it without any relevant job experience. What is your current job role? Any kind of IT experience is still going to set you apart from someone applying who has no experience at all."

I am a network/system administrator. I am a network guy by trade but for the last few years, ive mostly done more system administration than networking stuff. I have alot of JOAT kind of experience and im looking for another job. I still have some time and want to use it wisely and I thought studying and obtaining certs would be a good idea but at the same time, I think if im asked about using the technology that im certified for and I say that I dont, would it defeat the purpose of obtaining that cert in the first place.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We use Extreme switches at work and Cisco routers. But, it's managed by someone else. I still get a tiny little bit of hands on with it, but not enough to be considered real experience.

I got my CCNA as a personal goal. I've wanted it since the late 90's. The skills are valuable even outside of the Cisco realm. If I go elsewhere, I'll have that basic knowledge.

CCNP might be a different beast. If you're looking to move onto a more Cisco based role, I'd go for it. If not, I'd probably skip it or go for a different cert that would have a more direct impact.
  • JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PC509 wrote: »
    We use Extreme switches at work and Cisco routers. But, it's managed by someone else. I still get a tiny little bit of hands on with it, but not enough to be considered real experience.

I got my CCNA as a personal goal. I've wanted it since the late 90's. The skills are valuable even outside of the Cisco realm. If I go elsewhere, I'll have that basic knowledge.

CCNP might be a different beast. If you're looking to move onto a more Cisco based role, I'd go for it. If not, I'd probably skip it or go for a different cert that would have a more direct impact.

Totally agreed it is a different beast. I dont know what other certs hold as much weight as vendor specific certs though, especially since some of those vendors we do not use here. I have 7 years of IT GOAT experience but I dont feel confident I can parlay that to a new position of any kind. I guess microsoft certifications would be a way to go but even then im not using the latest microsoft products(server 2012). Just feel kinda stuck