Contract job - 6 weeks before first check

amee29amee29 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I started a contract job on Jan 9. Won't receive my first check until Feb 23 and then it only covers first 2 weeks. Anyone experienced anything similar on a new job? I've been in the work force a long time and never waited so long to be paid.

Comments

• MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't say that I have ever been in or heard about a situation like that. I know I wouldn't be happy about not being paid for that long.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Longest I have had to wait was 3 weeks once, so it seems excessive. Doesn't matter though. You are already working there so I doubt there is anything you can do about it.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree 6 weeks sounds excessive. I wouldn't make a big stink about it however....
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    In New York for the most part you must be paid at least twice a month. Check with your state dept of labor if you are in the US.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would make a big stink about it. No excuse being made to wait six weeks to get paid and only getting paid for two weeks then.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you asked the contracting company about it?
    That is not normal and I would be looking for another gig if it was me.
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, 6 weeks is excessive. I would be curious to know what the hold up was.
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When did they spring this on you? I would be fuming

BTW that's closer to 7 weeks
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well...
    if the employer only pays once a month....
    and if they also "hold" the first check...

Then yeah; it actually is reasonable.

Conversely, when you quit,
    you would have an extra check coming.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When do they plan on paying you for the other month that you will have worked? If I didn't get solid answers fasr I would be looking for another job.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thomas_ wrote: »
    When do they plan on paying you for the other month that you will have worked? If I didn't get solid answers fasr I would be looking for another job.
    Don't forget about calling the state department of labor and an attorney...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• amee29amee29 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. Their payroll schedule runs way far behind. So on Feb 23, I would be paid for the first 2 weeks in January, March 10 for the last 2 weeks in January, etc. As I look up my states labor laws, it appears this is actually illegal in my state! Payment shouldn't be more than 2 weeks behind. Awkward. So trying to decide the best way to approach this.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well,
    if your finances allow you the ability to "stand up" for yourself... then Do so.
    Call them out on their B.S.

Show them the labor law, and insist they cut you a check for the overdue weeks.
    If they hem-haw... let them know you Will be reporting them to the State labor dept/whoever.

They might cut you that check.

but More likely, they will just Fire you (assuming you live in an 'at-will' state).

~Another way to go:
    Work the minimum number of days necessary to qualify for Unemployment benefits.
    Then, take your chances fighting the "good fight".

~Another way,
    maybe build a coalition with your other contractors who work for this same company??
    There's Strength in Numbers.

And if you move forward with this; do All communication (with management) through email. CC your entire coalition (for documentation purposes). This will help you in case of a potential wrongful-termination lawsuit.

~Or, another way,
    don't do anything. just Keep your head down, and be grateful for a job.
    (the EsTaBLiShMeNt loves this approach).

keep us posted
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I think what I would do is tell no one that you work with then see if you can open an anonymous complaint with dept. of labor.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @amee29 - just my 2 cents - net 45 payment terms may be a bit lame but not unheard of. I assume you was in the US. You could obviously check with your state's DOL but if you have a corp-to-corp relationship with the company - I doubt it's really covered. Not sure about 1099 basis though.

If you are working through a contracting company - what are your payment terms between you at the contracting company and how do you invoice them? If the contracting firm has Net 30 terms with the client which would seem normal - 15 days after they are paid doesn't seem bad to me if their are a small contracting firm without much cash-flow.
  • sj4088sj4088 Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that's ridiculous. I would of had to pass on that job. When you leave there they are going to owe you quite a bit. And they could try to withhold that money once you leave as well.

For some perspective I too started a new job on Jan. 9 and get my first check on Jan. 20(for one week). The longest I ever had to wait to get paid at a new job is three weeks. And I remember a couple of people that started the same day I did was mad about having to wait three weeks. I couldn't imagine waiting six weeks to get my first check.
  • MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have experienced that sort of pay cycle before with a contract assignment. I started the job on May 27th and received my first paycheck on June 30th for the 3 days I worked in the month of May. Then I received my second paycheck on July 15th for the days of June 1 -15. I hated that pay cycle and made sure I ask the recruiter ahead of time of what their pay schedule is before moving on with client interviews.
  • TrucidoTrucido Member Posts: 250 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would make a big stink about it. No excuse being made to wait six weeks to get paid and only getting paid for two weeks then.
    Yeah I wouldnt even consider this job.
    2017 Certification Goals
    CompTIA A+ [ ] CompTIA Net+ [ ] CompTIA Sec+ [ ] CCENT [ ] ITIL [ ]
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If their state law says employees must be paid minimum of every two weeks it doesn't matter what the payment arrangements are between the client company and OP's company, assuming OP is a w-2 employee.

Do you really want to work for a company that is so bad off financially that they can't float your two weeks of pay? Do you really want to work for a company that can float your pay, but won't?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thomas_ wrote: »
    assuming OP is a w-2 employee.
    Well - that is the key missing question that the OP hasn't answered. Right now - it's all conjecture about the circumstances icon_lol.gif
  • TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it's not uncommon if they have like a semi-monthly payroll + arrears? also depends when you started. I always ask when pay day is before starting assignments.