Ceh

ofaheemofaheem Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

To take a CEH exam is it mandatory to have a experience on hands-on expertise of penetration testing or IT security

I am a systems Administrator who has more expertise in Windows and currently studying Cybersecurity so is this certification a worth for a person who is a beginner in Information security

Please advice

Comments

• EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You either need two years of experience, or you have to pay for their official courseware.

This is definitely a beginner-level certification, so it'd be a good fit to get started.
  • ofaheemofaheem Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello

Thanks for your reply so if I do not have two years experience I have to purchase their official courseware. Can you kindly guide how much is the cost of the courseware, what is included and how much is the exam fee, please advice

Thanks & regard,
    Osama Faheem
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd recommend starting with Security+. CEH is what I consider a poor man's Security+. CEH covers a lot of intro stuff, much like Security+, but with more hacking-related tools at the cost of more general topics. You aren't going to learn to be a hacker with CEH, and you also will miss things that Security+ covers. I think Security+ is more well-rounded and will give you better exposure to a wider range of useful topics. Plus for people like me who know the difference between them, Security+ is held in higher regard than CEH (even though it is an entry-level cert)
  • Moldygr33nb3anMoldygr33nb3an Member Posts: 241
    I'd recommend starting with Security+. CEH is what I consider a poor man's Security+. CEH covers a lot of intro stuff, much like Security+, but with more hacking-related tools at the cost of more general topics. You aren't going to learn to be a hacker with CEH, and you also will miss things that Security+ covers. I think Security+ is more well-rounded and will give you better exposure to a wider range of useful topics. Plus for people like me who know the difference between them, Security+ is held in higher regard than CEH (even though it is an entry-level cert)

You think so? As soon as I obtained my CEH, I got bombarded for security and networking jobs. The security + is great for government sector, but personally I think the CEH has more weight on a resume.
    Current: OSCP

Next: CCNP (R&S and Sec)

Follow my OSCP Thread!
  • chrsnldechrsnlde Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my neck of the woods, getting a Security+ might help you land a nice Help Desk job. The CEH on the other hand could land you a Security Analyst job (like it did for me).
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Security+ is a conceptual certificate that helps you grasp fundamentals. The CEH is basically "entry level pen-testing & social engineering". It's a practical course and it's all about hands on. I believe you can take the CEH exam alone IF your organization will back you up that you do security related stuff.
  • LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ofaheem wrote: »
    Hello,

To take a CEH exam is it mandatory to have a experience on hands-on expertise of penetration testing or IT security

I am a systems Administrator who has more expertise in Windows and currently studying Cybersecurity so is this certification a worth for a person who is a beginner in Information security

Please advice

As a Sysadmin you most surely have 2 years of "security" experience. Have your employer signoff.