Options

A good intro for networking book?

SimpleNikoSimpleNiko Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys
Decieded to go for CCNA but I have no background at networking

Can you reccomend a good book before I actully start studying for the CCNA? :)

thanks alot

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I.M.H.O you don't need any background in computer networking; just start your studies. You'll learn all you need to know, because the official study material starts from first principles. The bigger question you're going to face is what study materials to purchase. Everyone will have their own take on this, but for me, I purchased the Wendell Odom Official Cert Guides Routing and Switching 100-101 and 200-101 (in fact I got the two book library 200-120). These guides have now been superseded by the 100-105/200-105. This doesn't mean that the '101' books are of no use, but it does mean that you should be able to pick them up comparatively cheaply.

There's also lots of free material on-line, but it's very easy to loose focus and spend too much time jumping around from site to site, instead of concentrating on a particular line of study. Don't get me wrong, I'd encourage you to use a few different sources for your studies; just don't loose focus.

Have you thought about 'labbing'? {a whole different can of worms!}
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agree with the previous comments. You should be able to jump right into the ICND1 content without issue as they really start from the ground up.
  • Options
    PPP123PPP123 Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love Todd Lammle's book, I have Odom's as well but it's so god damn dry that I only use it as a reference or for a second viewpoint.

I've done the Network+ and feel I was just as well going for the CCNA staright away. It's not worth it IMHO.
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly if I had Todds CCNA book I probably would have just gone straight to CCNA. Odom was so dry and I thought I was missing so many basics, Todds book made it easier for me. That being said I read Todd's Network+ book cover to cover and I think it made me a better reader because I can now read Odom a lot easier. That is just my observation though. Also I don't even have my CCENT or CCNA yet so I can't really comment on how much it will actually help to have Network+ first, I will say Network+ covers some basic PC troubleshooting skills that I haven't seen in my CCENT studies yet.
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.