EIGRP /Static routing questions

txn41655txn41655 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi I am still new in networking. I have a few questions:

1. I want to configure EIGRP on this topology that already have static routes, Can I have both protocols on the same routers?
2. If yes how do I configure EIGRP as the main protocol? I tried setting my static routes AD to 91 ..but the EIGRP don't show on the routing table?
3. should all routers be configured EIGRP in this topology?

ex. R3 has static routes:
ip route 172.30.0.0 255.255.255.192 g0/0.10 91
ip route 172.30.0.64 255.255.255.192 g0/1.20 91

R3 also has EIGRP route:
network 172.30.0.0 255.255.255.192
network 172.30.0.64 255.255.255.192

Thanks.

Comments

• dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Static routes have an AD of 1, if you're EIGRP routes are >1 they will never make it to the routing table. In cases like this you generally want your static routes to be floating statics (to have an AD greater than your routing protocol) in order to be used as backup routes.
  • txn41655txn41655 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i don't clearly understand . I already know that static route are AD 1 and EIGRP are AD 90 . I want to make implement EIGRP to my topology and make my Existing Static routes as BACKUP...therefore I set the existing Static routes AD to 91 ?
  • AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You don't need these:
    ip route 172.30.0.0 255.255.255.192 g0/0.10 91
    ip route 172.30.0.64 255.255.255.192 g0/1.20 91

Those are directly connected to R3 so it already knows about them.
    If you use show ip route you should see a "directly connected" (symbol = C) route to those network, it has AD = 0 so the EIGRP route are not in the routing table.
    I originally created those static routes. Now I am asked to implement EIGRP as primary protocols without removing those static. What do you suggest? In real world do we usually use only 1 protocol per network? or is common to have 2 in the same network?
  • rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    It maybe that it's just the way that you phrase things, but you seem to be (to me anyway) suggesting that ‘Static Routes’ and ‘EIGRP’ are both ‘Routing Protocols’, when in fact ‘Static Routes’ are just that; routes that have been programmed manually. That’s why they have a AD of 1. Enabling EIGRP won’t have any effect on the Static Routes, because of the default AD of the EIGPR Protocol, assuming that you don’t mess with the ADs.

As EIGRP is Cisco proprietary, it would not be unreasonable to have an non-proprietary Routing Protocol enabled to cope with Routers that are not Cisco devices.
    No longer an active member
  • AlceoAlceo Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Creating static routes for directly connected network just don't make any sense, why would yo do that?
    If you had multiple path to a remote network with one less preferable and not covered by EIGRP than you can configure a static route with a bigger AD, a floating static route, to be used when the one covered by EIGRP goes down.
    Alceo wrote: »
    Creating static routes for directly connected network just don't make any sense, why would yo do that?
    If you had multiple path to a remote network with one less preferable and not covered by EIGRP than you can configure a static route with a bigger AD, a floating static route, to be used when the one covered by EIGRP goes down.

why would I do that? because I am new, I don't fully understand...icon_cheers.gif

Thanks for your explanations. I have better idea now! icon_thumright.gif