Options

CCNA for Network+ study material ?

LethalKnowledgeLethalKnowledge Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently in college and just got my A+ about a week ago. My school has a req that we need to get both the A+ and the Net+ to graduate, the thing about that is that so far for our school the pass rate for Net+ is 10% even with people that have been in the IT field for years in our class (lol I know it sounds crazy but its true).
So my question is would I be able to study for my CCNA(I plan on actually going for the CCNA as well) and use that information to pass the Network+ ? or do you think it would be better to just go over Net+? In class, I've learned Net+ and CCNA but that was almost a year ago now so basically I'd just be refreshing on the concepts that I'm not so familiar with.

Comments

• Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just took the Network + yesterday and passed it for the 2nd time... I can tell you first hand the Network+ is more than just Cisco... I would suggest the reverse order... N+ and then CCNA... N+ is vendor neutral but will build foundational knowledge. For it to be an entry level exam, I was quite surprised by the difficulty of them exam. Its not CISSP or CCIE but it has come a long way in development since N10-001 :O
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If the pass rate is only 10% including people who have been in the field...that is really bad. Training for the exam has come a long way even though the exam has added additional topics. I am guessing by being in IT more than likely means computer repair or something pretty entry level....I would hope that no system administrator or network anything would be having issues.

Study Network+ first, and then study for CCNA. The reason is that Network+ is easier than the CCNA, since you have to start knowing Cisco commands/configurations and some other stuff at a practical level not just conceptual for Cisco....that material would be overkill for Network+ and would make your achieving the certification take longer since you would go through all the CCNA studies.
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are looking to pass the N+, then you are better off studying for the N+ and not the CCNA. The N+ will help you with the CCNA but without real world experience it won't be the other way around. They have some level of overlap (things like subletting, OSI model, etc) but the N+ has a broad set of objectives not touched in the CCNA.
  • Options
    LethalKnowledgeLethalKnowledge Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for the advice, I decided to just impulse go in and book my Net+ and I passed!
    I got one more CompTIA voucher I can use and I'm wondering what you guys think about going for ether Cloud+ or Server+ ?
  • Options
    lloris_20lloris_20 Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips skyliinez.