Hello fellow database enthusiasts

AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was certified a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away in Administering SQL 7.0. I've since been working with production databases in SQL 2000, 2005 and 2008R2 (simple databases maybe 100 users, maybe a GB max no clustering or log shipping, etc). I've always bought myself the developers edition for every release with full intentions of getting my Administering SQL Server 2012 Databases certification. I've downloaded the changes from SQL 2012 to SQL 2014 and I have the Microsoft Press study guide for the 70-462. Is that book supplemented by TechNet adequate to pass the exam? I'd be purchasing test exams.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    AvgITGeek wrote: »
    I was certified a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away in Administering SQL 7.0. I've since been working with production databases in SQL 2000, 2005 and 2008R2 (simple databases maybe 100 users, maybe a GB max no clustering or log shipping, etc). I've always bought myself the developers edition for every release with full intentions of getting my Administering SQL Server 2012 Databases certification. I've downloaded the changes from SQL 2012 to SQL 2014 and I have the Microsoft Press study guide for the 70-462. Is that book supplemented by TechNet adequate to pass the exam? I'd be purchasing test exams.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've also been using SQL Server since v7. I passed 70-462 (narrowly) using just the Microsoft study guide, which I think is quite good. The most difficult part for me was learning all the different clustering and replication options, it's difficult to master those without several servers to practice on.
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From one SQL Dinosaur to another :) Thanks for that. It makes me a little more comfy regarding taking the exam. How did you lab?
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    Mostly I just used a single server for the labs. I did have access to a test Active/Passive cluster and log-shipping configurations at work, but for the some of the replication options, I just read the book really carefully.
    Good to know. Thank you!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on 462. Database dev here, not much of a dba but do love working with a good one.
    My development really stopped with SQL 2000. Our ERP was SQL backend with an Access front end so I'd do all the report writing\creating new tables\sprocs\views\etc. I really miss writing queries so I'll probably end up taking 461 at some point.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed loved it myself.

Will be a sad day when I move onto something else, it happens to most of us.

Anyway until then I'll keep churning out code.

Here you go, blast from the past

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51X6oAqCDcL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Hahahaha! My parents said "really?" when I asked for and then got this for christmas...

I still have it in a box of books on my floor. I had to pull it out to make sure I got the title right.

I dug it out.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha AvgITGeek, great book choice there!
    The thing must weigh close to 5 pounds. Sucker is massive but learned a lot from it.