Options

questions that make little sense ?

pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
now been studying 103 for two months on off,few hours a day,taking comptia prep test i find a lot of fill in blank commands,ex /dev/sda1 to mount as ext4 needs to be mounted type full command for it while its mk2fs -t ext4 but correct answer shows up full line like mk2fs -t ext4 /dev/sda1 is it safe bet once asked in test to complete command in full even thou first part is given what file needs to be modified etc ?

also one that ran into,which configiguration is needed for linux to boot without keyboard i choose answer do nothing,since any OS would boot up without even need for keyboard once configured,thus thinking because one could simply attach it at any time later,but answer puts need to go into bios to set up halt on that pc would be able to boot into OS which is false ?

also another one which seems just unfair what command would list all files including hidden one with all the details,so after using linux for a while its an easy one ll -a as in list long,correct answer ls -al its like both do the same expect first one would be professional to use.

im hitting 50+% on the tests but wonder are comptia ones close to real ones in terms of questions and answers presented.thx for any input.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am not familiar with Comptia exams so take my comments fwiw.

One of the tough things about multiple choice questions in an exam is to pose the question in such a way as to assure that the exam taker is not simply using rote memorization of facts. That's one of the reasons why some exams use scenario based questions. The other way is to present subtleties in the questions and pose answers that could be right but there is always one question that is more right.

Perhaps as you practice - you may want to spend the time to dissect the question.

For example
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    what command would list all files including hidden one with all the details,so after using linux for a while its an easy one ll -a as in list long,correct answer ls -al its like both do the same expect first one would be professional to use.
    Yes - you are correct that ls -a would list the hidden files. But it would not list the details. The question said "with all the details" - so you must include the -l flag for long format to get file details such as file size, date, perms, etc.. [edit] noticed you mentioned ll -a - so that's a good example of a subtlety. Technically - there is no command ll in Linux. On most Linux distros - there is a default user profile that creates an alias for ll for 'ls -l --color=auto' or similar.
    pinkiaiii wrote: »
    which configiguration is needed for linux to boot without keyboard i choose answer do nothing,since any OS would boot up without even need for keyboard once configured,thus thinking because one could simply attach it at any time later,but answer puts need to go into bios to set up halt on that pc would be able to boot into OS which is false ?
    Right - with some bios - if you want to boot without a keyboard - you may have to adjust the bios. I have a few computers that will halt with a keyboard error if the bios is not setup and there is no keyboard.

Good luck with your continued studies...
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    thx for explaining i see what you mean one answer being more correct,but on comptia it also throws questions like what command would allow you to detach process and continue working in terminal,now know its screen<and was correct,but not this wouldnt come as standard process on any distros and needs to be installed separately,well i guess key factors is knowing all commands in and out with different switches and functions they come is the only way to be certain.as for keyboard one its beyond legacy have many pcs 5-10yrs old and none of them would have issue booting without attached perihperals,actually halt option would be quite hard to find,but since these are sample questions have to roll with recommended answers since real word scenarios rarely apply in tests.