SANS Orlando 2017 - Work Study

LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
Former work study participant from SANS Orlando 2016 who applied again for this year. Wondering if anyone has received acceptance of a work study application for SANS Orlando for this year yet...

Comments

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I applied for Work Study at SANS Orlando 2017 as well. I facilitated there in 2015 but had to withdraw from it last year due to a new job (I wish I wouldn't have). I'm not sure if they fixed the situation with the Work Study team but I know last year they had major issues and people weren't finding out they were selected until like 10-14 days in advance. I was notified I was selected for Virginia Beach last year on 10 days notice and had to decline.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went in Vegas and I had about 3 weeks notification. I guess I was lucky.
  • LWB250LWB250 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I applied for Work Study at SANS Orlando 2017 as well. I facilitated there in 2015 but had to withdraw from it last year due to a new job (I wish I wouldn't have). I'm not sure if they fixed the situation with the Work Study team but I know last year they had major issues and people weren't finding out they were selected until like 10-14 days in advance. I was notified I was selected for Virginia Beach last year on 10 days notice and had to decline.

I got notified in January for March last year.

I also put in this year to do work study at the ICS event they're having in Orlando in March. It came out before SANS Orlando so I figured I would do that as insurance...
    bigdogz wrote: »
    I went in Vegas and I had about 3 weeks notification. I guess I was lucky.

I was wondering - if you don't get notified until a few weeks prior, can you still get a room and at the discounted rate? I live in the area but my employer would pay for me to stay on premise.
  • GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    LWB250 wrote: »
    I was wondering - if you don't get notified until a few weeks prior, can you still get a room and at the discounted rate? I live in the area but my employer would pay for me to stay on premise.

That room rate expires X amount of time prior to the event. I was told a few weeks out, I think less than a month and it expired. I attempted to enter the discount code and even called and I wasn't able to use it. I was forced to pay out the pocket, which I didn't mind for 7k or so worth of training all together. If your employer is paying, does the discount play a significant role in the room rate? Plus you live in the area.. I am confused. Either way I'll answer your question.

They told me I was accepted a few weeks prior to the event. But:
    -The hotel rate expires a few weeks prior to the event.
    -They in-directly suggest you stay in the hotel.
    -They told me I was accepted a few weeks prior to the event. I say that already?

All-in-all, depending on how much advance notice you get will depend on how everything will fall into place.
    Because you seem like a cool guy I went the extra mile.

I was accepted for a WorkStudy on September 30th.
    I bought my hotel on October 10.

So at some point at, or a little after being notified the discount had expired. For good measure I will say that it expired within 10 days of me being accepted.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does SANS block off rooms for facilitators? Ideally they want you in the hotel at there beckon call, but if the hotel sells out well before they inform you been selected, how do you get a room? I would like to toss my name into the work study hat this year, but I have to wait until the sale of a Nuclear power plant were buying is completed, I'm on the network integration team.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I doubt it. In Orlando there were a number of locals like myself, but not all of us stayed at the SANS venue. It definitely makes it easier if you do, however.

There's no "beck and call", you're given clearly defined arrival times with an open-ended day unless you're assigned to one of the evening events which nearly everyone had to do. It makes for a really long day, often more than 12 hours, but it's totally worth it in my opinion. There are opportunities to volunteer for additional work as it comes up, too.

Last year we weren't done until late Saturday. I think I left around 6:00 pm, and there were still people there finishing things up.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Does SANS block off rooms for facilitators? Ideally they want you in the hotel at there beckon call, but if the hotel sells out well before they inform you been selected, how do you get a room? I would like to toss my name into the work study hat this year, but I have to wait until the sale of a Nuclear power plant were buying is completed, I'm on the network integration team.

The "discount" is just for the hotel reservation. I wouldn't say that they blocked off any rooms. I just bought what room rate was cheapest, for a Marriott Hotel. I would assume that SANS takes care of the instructors. The individual that was in charge had a multitude of hotel keys in her pocket, for the incoming instructors. You are on your own, just like an attendee attending the event.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that they blocked off any rooms.

I certainly wouldn't expect SANS to pay for any rooms, but if they know they need 10 facilitators for an event, it would make sense to reverse a block of 10 rooms, just in case any facilitators want to stay there. I guess when I apply for a work study, I'll reserve a room just in case. I can always cancel the reservation a week before if I'm not selected.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Woo-hoo! Just got my contract for SANS Orlando!
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I got wait listed for Dallas 2017. I'm hoping they dont email me two day prior like they did last year
    LWB250 wrote: »
    Woo-hoo! Just got my contract for SANS Orlando!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Woke up to the rejection email today. Darn, maybe next time.
  • supasecuritybrosupasecuritybro Member Posts: 206 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got selected for SANS Orlando. Got my letter last week! Quite excited. This is my first one so I am looking forward to working my behind off.
    Completed: CISSP, GPEN, GWAPT, CCSA R80, eJPT, CySA+, M.S. Information Security
    Current Goal: CCSE
    Continuous Education Plan:​ AWS-SAA, OSCP, CISM
    Book/CBT/Study Material:​ Max Power