studying for ccent

whatubenchwhatubench Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all

just wondering what a BETTER way to study for the ccent test would be? Im busting my rear scouring the cisco official cert guide for 100-101.....then taking pearson vue ccent practice exam tests that allegedly go with the book and im getting killed. Assuming im not a moron, any suggestions?

Comments

• rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    whatubench wrote: »
    hi all

just wondering what a BETTER way to study for the ccent test would be?

Better than what, exactly???
    No longer an active member
  • whatubenchwhatubench Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just not seeing a lot of correlation between the book and the tests... book is easy test is hard.. what the heck am i missing?
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Study the cert guide, use GNS3 to practice your commands, take notes, look for lab topologies that you can make/break/fix. Apply the concepts you're taught and practice your subnetting. Flash-Cards for your Acronyms, They make apps on your phone for that. Look for videos on youtube that cover the topics so you get multiple sources for your information and the repetition can help solidify your knowledge. These are the free sources at your disposal. Now if you have money, I'd say get the Livelessons ICND1&2 course with Kevin Wallace and supplement it with CBT Nuggets course videos. Top it all off with Boson Practice Exams before you go for your exam. If you're hitting 90+% on those you're golden.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    I'm not sure what you're missing. These 'tests' that you're using. Could you provide an example of the type of questions that you're expecting to know the answers to?

I'm studying with the 100-101/200-101 books also, but I've not come across (yet) any questions in any exam prep test that's not covered in the books.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I used cbt nuggets and Odom books and... the tests were pretty similar to the books... so no idea what study materials or practice tests you got there bud. It was the previous version of ccna though.
    meh
  • tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone. You should add a few other resources to study for this exam. I.e., CBT nuggets videos or Chris Bryant on Udemy.
  • SylabicumaSylabicuma Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe get the updated version of the books? 100-101 is the retired exam. The active exam is 100-105.
  • WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The end of chapter tests are easy and the 'part review' are more difficult. I found doing them on a regular basis helped build up to the full practice exams which are a mix of easy and hard questions.
  • djbrendandjbrendan Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sylabicuma wrote: »
    Maybe get the updated version of the books? 100-101 is the retired exam. The active exam is 100-105.

Was just going to say why is he going on 100-101 if it's expired ..
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always print off / reference the exam blueprints too. Check off that you have studied all the highlighted topics mentioned in the blue print. Pair your study resources with the blueprint accordingly.

Then rank those topics based on your understanding level. I've always done this to focus on my weak areas and have never gone into an exam unless I could rank myself as a 5 for each blueprint topic.

1 - Very Weak (zero understanding)
    2 - Weak (familiar with terms but little understanding)
    3 - Some Understanding (Some level of understanding but missing knowledge of all concepts)
    4 - Good Understanding (High level of understanding can talk about it and understand the concepts, able to lab concepts)
    5. - Very Good Understanding (Highest level, can talk about it, understand the concepts fully, troubleshoot it, and can teach it back)
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I 100% agree in getting the updated 100-105 books for the exam.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rob42 wrote: »

I'm studying with the 100-101/200-101 books also, but I've not come across (yet) any questions in any exam prep test that's not covered in the books.
    Get the updated books. You don't want to miss anything that could potentially be on the exam.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Get the updated books. You don't want to miss anything that could potentially be on the exam.

Thanks for the advice, but my understanding is that studying for the new exam is as much about what's been removed as what's been added, such as Frame Rely, VRRP and GLBP.

I know that RIPv2 has been added, but I already had in mind that I'd study RIP (1 and v2) as it's still used in the 'real world' and after all, it's the 'real world' in which I'll (I hope) be working someday. Also, I intend to learn as much about IPv6 as I can; it's the future.

This link [https://www.reddit.com/r/ccna/comments/4ua55d/everything_you_need_to_know_for_the_ccna_rs_read/] is just one of the many that I've found of use.