Red Hat Learning Subscription

This was posted under the Internal Red Hat.com forum, wanted to pass it along to others to spread information around:

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/docs/rhls-faq

IMO, I believe it cost around 5,000 USD a year. If you have the staff/budget to justify, its a good deal.

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    JockVSJock wrote: »

This was posted under the Internal Red Hat.com forum, wanted to pass it along to others to spread information around:

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/docs/rhls-faq

IMO, I believe it cost around 5,000 USD a year. If you have the staff/budget to justify, its a good deal.

It's a decent deal, not a great one. You would need to be taking at least 2 courses to make it worthwhile and even then - it's online only which isn't the same as a classroom environment.
  • RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All courses are available in a "self paced" format, which is basically a web formatted version of the training book with embedded videos and interactive quizzes. Labs are spun up on the fly, so you can practice lab objectives for each chapter as much as you want on Red Hat systems.

A select number of courses also offer a "video classroom," which is a pre-recorded video-based instructor teaching the course directed specifically at you, the online student. The video courses allow you to download the course book PDF as well as take unlimited labs.

I like it a lot. Our company strongly prefers in-classroom training, so we have an instructor fly in for several courses, but we also have learning subscription accounts for most of our system engineers. I plan to take as many of the courses as I can this year. Hope this info helps!
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    RHEL wrote: »
    All courses are available in a "self paced" format, which is basically a web formatted version of the training book with embedded videos and interactive quizzes. Labs are spun up on the fly, so you can practice lab objectives for each chapter as much as you want on Red Hat systems.

A select number of courses also offer a "video classroom," which is a pre-recorded video-based instructor teaching the course directed specifically at you, the online student. The video courses allow you to download the course book PDF as well as take unlimited labs.

I like it a lot. Our company strongly prefers in-classroom training, so we have an instructor fly in for several courses, but we also have learning subscription accounts for most of our system engineers. I plan to take as many of the courses as I can this year. Hope this info helps!

But what happens when something doesn't make sense or you have questions you have no one to turn to. I did the Openstack Online Course and there were a lot of bugs in the training and no one available to help if a lab didn't work.
  • ingsadazaingsadaza Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to take the EX210 with Red Hat Openstack 10 version, can you share with me the Red Hat Openstack CL110 book?
  • ingsadazaingsadaza Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you do the CL110 course? Which version of Red Hat openstack did you use?
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They've made improvements and are fairly reasonable with the service. I went with it because I wanted to finish out my RHCA. I had one bad experience where the coursework didn't prepare for the exam and one good experience where it did. Turns out the teams that do the video classrooms, online learning classes, and exams are all different so they can be slightly out of sync.

There have been various bugs with the labs or classes and it seems to have a low priority compared to an actual Enterprise service. It can take a week or at least a few days to fix something I view as critical to the service.

I've used the instructor hours more than once to speak with an instructor about a question or a problem I had during the subscription.

My main hangup is that the exams included in the standard subscription are all kiosks. In the past, I could *try* to slip in an in-person exam. But it seems like those are few and far between now. I've learned to deal with the kiosks and the included retakes help. My main grief is availability and locations as I find that the schedules are not as flexible or as close as I'd like and it's not fun to travel for an exam especially if I had to end up taking it more than once.

Oddly after my RHCA, I plan on using it to go over more classes in a loose fashion. I had sat the RH442 class years ago and I found it super interesting, I'd love to go through it again to see where it's at now. I'd also love to get into containers and openshift without worrying about an exam.

I will probably renew the subscription if they keep the 50% discount for RHCA's.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯