Options

Exam preparation

waranty92waranty92 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys I need advice of experienced people, I want to prepare for compTIA Linux+ exam and want to know what is best guide for studying. I have these 2 guides and want to know witch is better to read.

Cover1.jpg
Cover2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    I have this one too CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg
  • Options
    si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    As far as I know, the LPIC exams are essentially the same, so i'd go for that book. Bresnahan is a bit of a genius and knows an awful lot about the subject matter. Just be sure you cover every single exam objective and you'll be fine.

LX0-103 objectives:
    http://cis.ncu.edu.jm/comptia/CompTIA%20Linux%20Powered%20by%20LPI_LX0-103.pdf

LX0-104 objectives:
    http://cis.ncu.edu.jm/comptia/CompTIA%20Linux%20Powered%20by%20LPI_LX0-104.pdf
  • Options
    jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LPIC-1 is just for that specific exam. I'd get the Linux+ sybex book if you can afford to. Also get onboard with Linux Academy. They have very spot on videos for Linux+. Remember, you want to study from books that are written for the specific exam(s) that you are studying for.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    waranty92 wrote: »
    I have this one too CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg

I have the Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg book as well. Pearson IT certification is the publisher. I'm using this book along with LinuxAcademy.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216

i have got this book as well,its better then :
    CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide: Exam LX0-103 and Exam LX0-104 , Third Edition

but two of them are totally different even chapter layout on lpic + book it has linux installation at first chapters where LPI has it as last chapter,also there is a lot less detailed description on commands in both of them,yet you get quizzes on comptia cert book and some questions they ask wouldnt be covered in the chapter,example what command you use to simulate shutdown,they have list of ones to halt power safely and to cancel or add time delay message,yet come simulation question and id would fail since its not covered,and only if going into MAN pages one would find such info which to be honest every command has at least dozens of parameters.

I still got saved lpic fundamentals and 1&2 parts for netacad which seemed whole load of hassle to read but thinking now at least there was console to test many commands and explanations where appropriate with possible real life examples.

Now i find it quite difficult to read one or another since it gives more theoretical explanations and examples thus very hard to know what matters most,and it covers very little details on most topics thus making it more to do your own research on different commands and topics via google.

Now i could say im totally dumb,but having seen few examples i dont fear the 104 test since its network related and got networking ingrained over the year to know what a good bit about it,but 103 seems to cramp a lot basically from ground up to sys admin level in single go,which isnt even practical in home environment to test it.Since managed to setup esxi,wmvare on pc that needed network drivers injected licenses sorted and have pc that runs headless servers but all came with help of google and the likes.

Also find youtube a bit more easier to watch and learn since many people who have channels have different experiences,thus they dont follow protocol of teaching for exam but give real life examples of say updating date stamp on file could be done using touch command alone.

Anyway sorry for ramble and dont want to highjcak OPs post,but in same boat as OP since book materials seem to give basic explanation on each topic,but when it comes to parameters switches or application scenarios its very dull preparation.And worse is that reading most of it is really dry and boring,ive got around 3 months to prepare and cant focus enough to cover single chapter a day without asking is it really worth such complication.

Ok ramblings aside im hard to motivate person,but if anyone could suggest most up to date guide thats easy on the reader and some videos that actually cover important matter would be more then thankfull.

since its easy to google how to setup samba server or ssh,but when it comes to knowing where each config file resides what paramteres should be used and how to configure/maintain system properly feel like id need to go back in time 20yrs when it all started to wrap my head around most concepts.
  • Options
    PlayDoh72PlayDoh72 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've found the "CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg" book to be the best reference so far. Lots of stuff in the errata (and more that should be), but all in all, a decent book that covered each exam objective in order. I've read from 101 through 104, and am going through it again before I take the 101-400 /LX0-103 exam. I have take several practice tests and noticed that my text didn't seem to cover some test questions so I went to the interwebs and started bookmarking items into my browser in a folder hierarchy that mirrored the exam objectives / sub-objectives to make studying easier. One GREAT online resource I found came from an IBM website:
    -> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lpic1-map/index.html#101
    Covers the objectives in order and provides more detailed info than my book. Anyhow, that's my 10 bits.
  • Options
    Thank you for your answers I have started reading "CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg" because it is almost parallel to CBT nuggets, after I finish reading this book I will look at this book too "CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide: Exam LX0-103 and Exam LX0-104 , Third Edition"
  • Options
    PlayDoh72PlayDoh72 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your answers I have started reading "CompTIA Linux + / LPIC-1 Cert Guide by Ross Brunson and Sean Walberg" because it is almost parallel to CBT nuggets, after I finish reading this book I will look at this book too "CompTIA Linux+ Powered by Linux Professional Institute Study Guide: Exam LX0-103 and Exam LX0-104 , Third Edition"

I have this book too and I found it a little "clunky" and hard to read. Don't let my personal opinions deter you from giving it a gander though. This is my second day reading through the free online material from IBM (earlier post) and I have to say I'm finding it very enlightening. The author, Ian Shields, does an outstanding job of breaking down each objective (101.1, .2, .3, etc...), providing customary illustrated examples, but even more detailed information than even the book I'm reading. As for the CBT Nuggets track, I have mixed emotions. I went through all 72(?) videos and while Sean Powers is horribly corny, he does lighten the mood and provides fairly decent information. Beware though, some of his lessons contain information that is flat out wrong i.e. his explanation of RAID 5. Other shortcomings include the coverage of LVM, which wasn't very detailed at all compared to other resources. I would've surely failed had I attempted to take any exam with only this knowledge under my wig.
  • Options
    pinkiaiiipinkiaiii Member Posts: 216
    PlayDoh72 your not the only one i find that lpi institute guide is poorly written - as is seems it has a lot of lack in explanations for commands,and examples are poor,then again combined i think its better use when doing last prep on different subjects to add the final reminder.

That said for sake of me can someone link to youtube videos someone reputable that would cover some L0x103 topics.

Since many seem indian narrators and its quite hard to grasp them,also VI editor seems most important editing tool,but seems so complitaed in navigation like between lines,copying pasting or just editing files seems like a major mission,compared to nano,but then again know that vi is most powerful editor which comes with every linux distro thus one has to be really efficient using it.
  • Options
    sugarcreekwalkersugarcreekwalker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU student here, for course C697. Took CompTia Linux + LX0-103 test today, passed with 600. Resources used: 1. Ucertify (reading, labs, exercises), practice test ( yes! all 444 questions!), 2. The 4 pre-recorded Domain cohorts & the vi editor cohort (Webinars) from the Announcements of the instructor. There is a LOT of stuff in the cohorts and the 444 practices questions that are damn near exactly like test questions! I took thorough notes on everything. I had about 5 fill in the blank questions (directories or commands), and about 3 choose more than one option questions. Still had about 45 mins after review to finish, so time is not a problem for this. Good luck! FYI, yes a little bit of the Ucertify stuff is old, and is not on the test, like LILO. But, it's a damn good source, especially the 444 practice questions and their explanations....also, I studied for a little over a month.
  • Options
    sugarcreekwalkersugarcreekwalker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh! And yes, I did install Virtual Box and Debian 8(?) to practice on while studying. I did not bother with anything else.