Powershell

I am not necessarily looking to pursue a MCSA/E, but really get a good understanding of powershell. I've poked around on some websites and found some good stuff but was curious if anyone here had a book or website they think is a must know when beginning to immerse into all the powershellness stuff out there?

Comments

• knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    The way I learnt was by doing. Basically lived on the PowerShell Technet forum and tried to answer the questions, I'd also just do everything I could do on the GUI via PowerShell.

I would also use YouTube to help me when I was stuck on parts. A nice simple way to learn a bunch is to get a bunch of JPGs together and use PowerShell to rename them all like "Image001" and increment the number by one each time. This covers quite a few areas of PowerShell and what it can do.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    For sure, any scripting is best done by doing.
    I just figured there might be a Kirk Byers type thing for Powershell that I should check out. Thanks for the responses!
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    All of my interaction with PowerShell has been very productive so far. With programming languages like C++, your busy learning CS concepts before you get to the point where you're writing decent code. With PowerShell being a scripting language, its so easy&flexible to do value add tasks even if you know just a little bit of powershell. A few lines of code saves me hours a day compared to what I used to do.
  • AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pluralsight and Infinite Skills both have very good video lessons for Powershell. I only watched about a third of each because that's all I really needed to know for the MCSA exams since I wasn't going to get into complex scripting but they provided me with a lot of good information. You might want to check those out.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start here. This jump start video series is excellent and features the inventor of Powershell, Jeffrey Snover.

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-30-jump-start-8276?l=r54IrOWy_2304984382
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    blargoe wrote: »
    Start here. This jump start video series is excellent and features the inventor of Powershell, Jeffrey Snover.

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/getting-started-with-powershell-30-jump-start-8276?l=r54IrOWy_2304984382

Very cool. Thanks!
  • WinuserWinuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can check out www.powershell.org

Also, powershell tool also provides you the syntax with examples. Just try using the get-help command and start with it.

I started learning powershell in this way.
  • MariusRZRMariusRZR Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For someone new to Powershell, I recommend CBT Nuggets Powershell reference training with Don Jones. It's a massive 31 hour course.
  • Abi4ITAbi4IT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches, book by Don Jones.
  • spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found 2 good books that have started me off on my PowerShell journey:
    Teach yourself Windows PowerShell in 24 hours by Timothy Warner.

Good starting point, started doing these during my lunch breaks at work.

And this was recommended to me by a PowerShell Devoloper I've worked with, Windows PowerShell Cookbook by Lee Holmes

Good if your familiar with the basic cmdlets to start with or know how to use the help, gets you straight into building functions.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great thread. Thanks for sharing.