New to IT world, seeking some guidance

Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, i'll try to keep this short as straight to the point as possible so you guys dont have to read alot.

I just decided to go into the IT field after 5+ yrs as a delivery driver. I've always loved computers and technology. i've built some gaming computers and troubleshooted my home PCs.

I decided to enroll in a free IT course that just landed me my A+ and i'm a few days away from my N+ so i will start looking for some entry level jobs. i dont mind working my way up and putting in the time and hard work. i'm assuming i will be looking at Help desk/desktop support.

My questions are what to do next. I've narrowed it down to Network or system admin. so should i go for CCNA In routing and switching or MSCA in Windows Server 2012?

Or should i just get some experience in Helpdesk/desktop support and slowly study for one of those exams.

I'm basically just looking for some help and guidance with what to do next in this new IT adventure of mine. your responses are greatly appreciated.
Bachelor of Science in IT:Security - Western Governors University

Comments

• TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have to ask yourself what do you like working on more? What is the market like in your area, more net admin or sys admin jobs? If your looking at terms of pay, its a spectrum out there. Ive been looking at jobs in the south east and some sys jobs pay better than net and visa versa.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome to the TE family!

I strongly recommend going through the CCNA training before the MCSA. Reason is that the networking concepts you learn will explain a lot that is not quite covered in the Microsoft curriculum. That was the path I chose many years ago, and I'm definitely glad that I went that way, based on the recommendation of my CCNA instructor.

As far as Network or System Administration, CCNA is going to better prepare you for the network role, and MCSA/E for the System Administration role. However, having either (or both) will help you out in the long run. I've been a Systems Administrator for a while, but I'm definitely glad I still have my Cisco experience. Best of luck whichever path you choose!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Jacinto1023Jacinto1023 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Welcome to the TE family!

I strongly recommend going through the CCNA training before the MCSA. Reason is that the networking concepts you learn will explain a lot that is not quite covered in the Microsoft curriculum. That was the path I chose many years ago, and I'm definitely glad that I went that way, based on the recommendation of my CCNA instructor.

As far as Network or System Administration, CCNA is going to better prepare you for the network role, and MCSA/E for the System Administration role. However, having either (or both) will help you out in the long run. I've been a Systems Administrator for a while, but I'm definitely glad I still have my Cisco experience. Best of luck whichever path you choose!

Thank you so much for the reply. i've been reading a bit and like you said, the CCNA is more for the network role and alot of people said its easier to go towards the CCNA just coming out of N+

I'm going to try to land a desktop support job to build experience amd hopefully with 2-3yrs of experience and with a CCNA/MSCA cert i'll be able to land a good Admin job. i definetly want to get both cert, seems to be the sweet combo to have.

So lets say i go for CCNA. should i start right after my N+ since all the network stuff will still be fresh? i was reading these boot camps aren't worth it so i'm assuming alot of self studying with books, videos and lab sims are the way to go?
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The Net+ is going to be the vendor-neutral start of your networking studies. However, keep in mind that a TON of the objectives in the Net+ are going to lead straight into Cisco. As a beginner, I STRONGLY recommend doing ICND1 (CCENT) then ICND2 to get your CCNA. Two reasons: the objectives are split in half, and you will need the extra time. A lot of people that I know that failed the composite CCNA exam was because they ran out of time. Helping quite a few of my former students and friends get their Net+ and CCNA, I would jump into your Cisco studies right after.

I do believe that boot camps are not worth it. They are good as refreshers for people that haven't used the material in a long time, but not for someone that is "starting from scratch." You are much better off taking your time and making sure you understand all the concepts. For CCNA grab a free copy of GNS3 (Google search how to get the IOS images) and Packet Tracer. Those will give you everything you need if you don't have the money to get real gear from *insert online store of choice here*.

As an added benefit, getting your CCNA will renew your Net+, which in-turn will renew your A+.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • jertsyjertsy Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Net+ is going to be the vendor-neutral start of your networking studies. However, keep in mind that a TON of the objectives in the Net+ are going to lead straight into Cisco. As a beginner, I STRONGLY recommend doing ICND1 (CCENT) then ICND2 to get your CCNA. Two reasons: the objectives are split in half, and you will need the extra time. A lot of people that I know that failed the composite CCNA exam was because they ran out of time. Helping quite a few of my former students and friends get their Net+ and CCNA, I would jump into your Cisco studies right after.

I do believe that boot camps are not worth it. They are good as refreshers for people that haven't used the material in a long time, but not for someone that is "starting from scratch." You are much better off taking your time and making sure you understand all the concepts. For CCNA grab a free copy of GNS3 (Google search how to get the IOS images) and Packet Tracer. Those will give you everything you need if you don't have the money to get real gear from *insert online store of choice here*.
    As an added benefit, getting your CCNA will renew your Net+, which in-turn will renew your A+.

I wasn't aware of this, I'm looking at CCNA so thats an added bonus
  • knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    Personally I would get the N+ and then land a job on a helpdesk. While working I would try find a part of IT that I enjoy and would see myself doing for the rest of my life.

There isn't a point investing hundreds of pound into say CCNA to later find out you hate networking.

My 16 year old self would have said networking all day, then I got a job in a NOC and saw how bad I was at it and hated every second. I was then moved more into server administration and that's what I loved, so I studied for my MCSA: 2003

That's where I met and fell in love with my mistress that is SharePoint. So my tip to you would be, get the minimum to get your foot in the door and go from there.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• AndersonSmithAndersonSmith Member Posts: 471 ■■■□□□□□□□
    knownhero wrote: »
    Personally I would get the N+ and then land a job on a helpdesk. While working I would try find a part of IT that I enjoy and would see myself doing for the rest of my life.

There isn't a point investing hundreds of pound into say CCNA to later find out you hate networking.

My 16 year old self would have said networking all day, then I got a job in a NOC and saw how bad I was at it and hated every second. I was then moved more into server administration and that's what I loved, so I studied for my MCSA: 2003

That's where I met and fell in love with my mistress that is SharePoint. So my tip to you would be, get the minimum to get your foot in the door and go from there.

This is my advice as well and knownhero said it perfectly - Don't waste your time and money on something you're unsure of... Yet. I spent a few years at a helpdesk after getting my A+ as a beginner in the field and the experience I got from that was tremendously valuable and helped me learn the ropes and prepared me for what I really wanted to do (SysAdmin).

I've found it's not a bad idea to pace yourself when it comes to getting started in the IT field - Get a couple of intro-level certifications, work an entry-level job or two, and slowly start building up your resume with experience and higher-level, vendor-specific certifications and then go after some jobs you really want. You may even find that you don't have to even really look for jobs once you have the certifications and experience to back them up; you may get offered positions when you're not even looking.
    All the best,
    Anderson

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You mix a MCSA (2012) and a CCNA R/S together after your Net+ and I think you'll have a pretty solid foundation regardless of what track you decide to go down.
    Thanks for all the valuable replies. i will follow your advice and land an entry level help desk position to get me in the door and build experience. after a few months of working and researching i should hopefully know which path i want to take. Whether its System Admin or Network admin. regardless, i still want to eventually have the MSCA(2012) and CCNA R/S. I'm going to look more into the specifics of System and Network Admin.

I'm hoping my A+ and N+ will help me land a job, shouldn't be too hard in NYC.

Should i go for my Security+ ? this course i did offers it also for free.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Should i go for my Security+ ? this course i did offers it also for free.
    In IT - you can never have too much knowledge - so if it's a free course and you are motivated - definitely take it.

Also - given that you are starting out - you may want to just apply to any job that looks interesting to you regardless of whether it's system or network related - it gets your foot in the door. And just going through the interview process - you could find that you learn something new.

Don't be discouraged if it takes some time - good luck.
    paul78 wrote: »
    In IT - you can never have too much knowledge - so if it's a free course and you are motivated - definitely take it.

Also - given that you are starting out - you may want to just apply to any job that looks interesting to you regardless of whether it's system or network related - it gets your foot in the door. And just going through the interview process - you could find that you learn something new.

Don't be discouraged if it takes some time - good luck.

i'm signing up for the Security+ then. They also offer Linux+

should i get these two as i build experience in help desk and then start on my MSCA Server 2012?

I'm leaning more towards Server and System Admin work but its too early to be 100% sure.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    should i get these two as i build experience in help desk and then start on my MSCA Server 2012?
    I can't really comment on that as I am unfamiliar with the content but I'm sure others will chime in. icon_smile.gif
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Jacinto1023. Sorry, late to the topic. Judging on your response, I'd head into Server+ and then 70-410 being you said you like server administration. You've got your A+, N+ so Server+ and the 70-410 or 70-411 should help for Server Admin. Don't know how it is in NYC but I ruled myself out of applying for Systems Admin position because they were heavily Linux and MS Server based and I haven't touched a Linux box in 12 years.

I came out of the Army basically fix\upgrade my computers and my OIC got me a 1 month internship with the Hospital MIS department so I installed hard drives in servers and installed networked printers. After my discharge, I got a temp gig moving printers from one side of the building to the other. After two weeks, they extended my contract so I could install NT Workstation and the Novell client on all of their incoming machines. I drew the line at that. PC support and that was it. The Novell networking caught my interest and I started getting certified Windows NT 4 which included Networking Essentials. Again, I drew the line at databases. After the company installed SQL 7.0 I decided to check databases out. I got certified as part of my MSCE for SQL 7.0 Administration.

Long story short... don't ever rule out a discipline now early in your career because you don't find it interesting. If I had done that, I'd still be building computers and basic help desk stuff. Get the certs that get you in the door and don't shy away from tech recruiters or contract work. It is all resume building work.