Should I do Linux+ before RHCSA?

9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
I abandoned my pursuit of RHCSA because I got a job along a different path. But I'm wanting to pick it back up, since if I ever move from my current job, I'm probably going to move toward system administration. Is there much advantage to doing Linux+ first? Will it help prepare for the RHCSA exam? I've been using Linux for several years, but mostly as an enthusiast and end user.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As someone who has barely used linux and in no way has looked at these tests. I'm gonna assume the Linux+ would be helpful, but in my opinion I would pass on it and go straight for the RHCSA. It might be a little steeper learning curve on some things but would probably save you a bunch of time and money in the end. Especially if your end goal is getting the RHCSA.
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ^^ Skip the Linux+ since anyone can **** the exam (which makes it less valuable), and it's only knowledge-based. I was one of those guys who skipped it for the RHCSA.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Linux+ has a couple of issues. One is that it is broad, trying to cover the variety of Linux out there. The other is that it isn't really performance based in any strong way, so doesn't relate as well to real world skills and practice.

But RHCSA has the other issue of being narrowly focussed on Red Hat, and it's performance based testing means that you can pass without understanding well some of the higher level, abstract, theoretical basics.

So they can be complementary, since neither is perfect. Having said that, if I were forced to choose, I'd go for the RHCSA. The RHCE is still the go to Linux certification in a lot of places (check your local market, though).

I think that Cisco NetAcad and IBM both offer free training targeted at Linux+/LPIC. Which might be useful even if you skip the Linux+.

The other player in this space is Linux Foundation, which has performance based testing on either CentOS, Ubuntu or OpenSUSE. It doesn't yet have the name recognition of Red Hat, but I think is possibly a better path than Linux+/LPIC since the course content is more vendor neutral.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Agreed with Octal on all points. Having completed both exams, I would say skip the Linux + and move towards the RHCSA, unless you want to stay vendor neutral. RHCSA is more of a corporate certification while Linux +/LPIC/LFCS focus on both CentOS(RHEL) and Ubuntu(Debian) which is used by a lot of smaller/non-corporate organizations. The differences aren't that big between the distributions but when starting out with Linux its best to pick one path and later branch out, so you don't get confused about where configs, binaries, and libraries differ.
  • ConquererspledgeConquererspledge Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is purely hearsay, but I've read that you can pass the RHCSA without touching configuration files. I know Linux+ does require you to understand config files - my advice is to do both. As was posted before, they can be complementary. The Linux+ can be used to really understand the theory behind everything whereas the RHCSA can be used to have practical application of that theory. This is all assuming cost is of no concern.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    This is purely hearsay, but I've read that you can pass the RHCSA without touching configuration files. I know Linux+ does require you to understand config files - my advice is to do both. As was posted before, they can be complementary. The Linux+ can be used to really understand the theory behind everything whereas the RHCSA can be used to have practical application of that theory. This is all assuming cost is of no concern.

An exam doesn't become more difficult because you have to/don't have to edit the configuration files. RHEL may have a number of binaries and utilities that prevent you from having to touch certain configuration files, but if you have no idea where they are or how to edit them, you will not last long in the Linux field. I guarantee it.
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    If you have a fair amount of experience, then I would skip the Linux+.

I have both certs. Here's my opinion.

Try a free trial at Linux Academy. Then look at the Linux Essentials, Linux+ (LX-103, LX-104) and Red Hat Certified System Administrator courses. View bits and pieces from all.

Especially, do the labs and exercises. After watching the videos and working with the content, that should give you a better indicator of which direction to go.

I'll give you an example. When I first got Michael Jang's book for the Red Hat example, I wasn't impressed. The material was way over my head. After doing some foundation work, Linux Essentials, LPIC and then Red Hat. I looked at his book again, and wow, it's a good book. I just didn't have the foundation to understand it.

The material for the Linux+ is pretty good, and it does compliment the RHCSA. However, you can do the RHCSA without Linux+, although, the path will be a little bit harder.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • egyasia.comegyasia.com Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I have done both Linux+(LX-103 then LX-104) then did RHCSA (ex200) , I disagree with those who said to skip Linux+ specially if you don't have a core linux experience , I would advise you to start with linux+ then going to RHCSA for the following reasons

1- Materials for RHCSA assume that u r already have the basics of Linux(at least the one I used which was mike jang book) , you won't understand lot of parts if you don't do the Linux+ first ,

2-Linux+ is broader as it covers both RPM based distros as well as Debian based and it's more focused into the command line than RHCSA , RHCSA u r allowd to do most of the jobs in GUI , I remember one guy using gedit to config a service , what if you are restoring a system and the only option is vi or another text based , this is not something with Redhat but they consider you have 3 years experience of linux system administration so they just skip these fundamentals command line , VI editor etc and focus in next level , configuring LVM , NFS , Samba , LDAP , Apache etc
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I guess there's some confusion between the knowledge and certification. Do you need to know the basics of Linux administration before attempting the RHCSA? Yes, absolutely. Would acquiring a Linux+ make you more marketable? Well, most likely not.
    TL;DR No, it's not required, but won't harm either.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're in a Red Hat environment then I would do RHCSA all day everyday. I think any time you have paid work experience with a technology and the cert to back it up, it's a boon for your resume. Studying for the RHCSA immediately will help you learn and do your job better/faster in a shorter period of time. If you studied for Linux+ you would spend time on things that may not be applicable in your environment. If you wanted to learn a different distribution you could go through the Linux+ training and just not take the test.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Linux+ is vendor neutral, RHCSA is not. Both are good to have.
    What makes Red Hat certs more valuable is because they are practical, not just theory.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As I have done both Linux+(LX-103 then LX-104) then did RHCSA (ex200) , I disagree with those who said to skip Linux+ specially if you don't have a core linux experience , I would advise you to start with linux+ then going to RHCSA for the following reasons

1- Materials for RHCSA assume that u r already have the basics of Linux(at least the one I used which was mike jang book) , you won't understand lot of parts if you don't do the Linux+ first ,

2-Linux+ is broader as it covers both RPM based distros as well as Debian based and it's more focused into the command line than RHCSA , RHCSA u r allowd to do most of the jobs in GUI , I remember one guy using gedit to config a service , what if you are restoring a system and the only option is vi or another text based , this is not something with Redhat but they consider you have 3 years experience of linux system administration so they just skip these fundamentals command line , VI editor etc and focus in next level , configuring LVM , NFS , Samba , LDAP , Apache etc

I agree with this 100%. I had some Linux background over a decade ago, then found myself behind and extremely rusty I began working with servers and appliances that were Linux based years later. Linux+ is great if you really want to understand what is going on fundamentally and want to understand config files and core bash commands and how to apply them in daily tasks. If you are already OK there, I would skip it. I would say based on my experience with the tests last year that it's maybe 10% Debian/Ubuntu specific, and the rest is either neutral or RH based.

I do intend to do RH certification later on, but I needed a better foundation now, and I don't regret going for the lower certification first. No, it isn't going to get you noticed if you looking to jump right away into a full time Linux position, but that wasn't my goal at the time.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • 9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm still thinking about this. If I ever move into system administration, it's likely Red Hat would be the flavor of choice. So that's +1 for RHCSA. Also, RHCSA is practical and perceived as more valuable, so that's +1. On the other hand, at this point, I want a cert on my resume that says Linux just so I can show employers I know some Linux. I've heard Linux+ gives two other certs with it: LPIC-1 and something else...is that correct? So perhaps for getting through HR filters for any random job involving Linux, 3 certs would look better than 1?
  • MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□

How to earn LPIC-1 with Linux+

Please note that you cannot earn LPIC-1 and then apply for Linux+. The Linux+ must be earned first. (This offer is NOT available in Japan.)
    1. Earn your Linux+
    2. Obtain an LPI ID at https://cs.lpi.org/caf/Xamman/register
    3. Once you have passed both Linux+ exams, log into your CompTIA certification account. Choose Demographics | Settings. On the Settings page check the box to have your information forwarded to LPI, then click Submit.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's down to just 2 certs now, the LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Institute Certification) and the CompTIA Linux +.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    It's down to just 2 certs now, the LPIC-1 (Linux Professional Institute Certification) and the CompTIA Linux +.

Ah, what was the third and why is it gone now?
    The third was the [FONT=&quot]Certified Linux Administrator (CLA)[/FONT] if memory serves me. Now that one is gone and was replaced by SUSE Certified Administrator (SCA) in Enterprise Linux.
    MCP2000 wrote: »
    Here is the link about what happened.. https://training.suse.com/lpic-1-and-cla-agreement/

Well, that's a shame. Looks like it's RHCSA for me, then.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did Linux+ many years ago, it helped me get a few credibility in some open level job. Now I would do LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 (and LPIC-3 eventually), because it has more advanced path than Linux+. However, if you are working in a Redhat shop, do your RHCSA or RHCE(eventually).