What do you love about your job?

GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
It's Valentine's Day and what would today be without some love. What do you love to do at your job or what do you love about your job?

I love research and investigation, trying to figure things out. I love a good challenge and trying to fix things. (Ok, full disclosure I'm not currently employed because I'm still studying before I apply anywhere but that's what I love to do. :D)

Comments

• dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    #1-teammates. I have an awesome team that works great together
    #2-the cause. I help protect those that have served our country
    #3-everything else
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love the challenge of things. I don't know the answer, they don't know the answer. Time to go digging and figure it out. When I finally do, I feel like I accomplished something. There's a great boost to the confidence when I do that. It's a great feeling.

Great team to work with, users are great. Just a great place to work. The boss man also lets me use what I learn from school and training on the job. I keep learning, and my responsibilities keep increasing. If I want to learn a new technology, he'll throw me some things to do with that technology. Always some hands on with it.

Bad part - I never want to leave. I will at some point, but I really don't want to. Maybe I can postpone retirement in 24 years... :D
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The fact that I am getting ready to leave.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    The freedom it allows me to pursue some personal hobbies during work hours sometimes (during lunch break), and after work (no crazy after hours work).

The promised training opportunities (yet to see that).

The freedom to work on whatever I want, and take control of where I want my career to go

great boss!!

Not a corporate-y vibe
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• ITBotITBot Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The fact that I get to touch so many different technologies. Everyone is so busy that if I ticket comes up for Iron Port, something that I am not too familiar with, I can just grab it, learn it and complete it.

Also, somewhat flexible work hours. If we have an appointment, we can just make it up after work.

We have a pretty good Network team as well including a co-worker who is always ready to help me learn more.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) Team members - One for all and all for one. We have a great chemistry which helps greatly when I have no idea what the heck I'm doing messing about with a SAN
    2) Getting hands on with different hardware/technologies/networks. I recently changed jobs and went from a SMB no budget to MSP and some of our customers have some really sweet gear. Completely out of my comfort zone but I needed to take the next step.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have to agree with Paul78 :) Got to love payday! :D

I love doing what I do (Threat Intel)...

• Never the same day twice, always something new...
    • Some days its about the latest breach news, others its deep diving (investigation wise) on a potential client whose information doesnt jive, yet others its creating Threat Actor profiles on criminal actors/groups such as Carbanak.
    • Trying to beat the Cyberwire on headlines going out in the daily briefing (internal) I send out as part of my job duties
    • Awesome team ! Team mates rock, a retired FBI forensic investigator and a malware chick :O ( actually we are her 1st Infosec gig... hired as a junior analyst 5 years ago, both moved from SecOps to Threat Intel with me about 15 months ago... before then it was just me.
    • Awesome bosses... both immediate leader (Dir, Threat Intel) and 2nd level (CSO)
    • Training $$$$ - guaranteed training budget per year... projects get pushed out/canceled before training funds get cut... Plus this separate from tuition reimbursement.
    • Great pay w/ bonus payouts
    • My commute went from 3 hours, to get up, walk downstairs to office (full remote)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    jcundiff wrote: »
    Have to agree with Paul78 :) Got to love payday! :D

I love doing what I do (Threat Intel)...

• Never the same day twice, always something new...
    • Some days its about the latest breach news, others its deep diving (investigation wise) on a potential client whose information doesnt jive, yet others its creating Threat Actor profiles on criminal actors/groups such as Carbanak.
    • Trying to beat the Cyberwire on headlines going out in the daily briefing (internal) I send out as part of my job duties
    • Awesome team ! Team mates rock, a retired FBI forensic investigator and a malware chick :O ( actually we are her 1st Infosec gig... hired as a junior analyst 5 years ago, both moved from SecOps to Threat Intel with me about 15 months ago... before then it was just me.
    • Awesome bosses... both immediate leader (Dir, Threat Intel) and 2nd level (CSO)
    • Training $$$$ - guaranteed training budget per year... projects get pushed out/canceled before training funds get cut... Plus this separate from tuition reimbursement.
    • Great pay w/ bonus payouts
    • My commute went from 3 hours, to get up, walk downstairs to office (full remote)

Talk about an awesome job, holy smokes lol.

Me?
    -Payday (first major paying job, military before)
    -Learning the management game, way different than technical jobs
    -Project Management
    -Free breakfast =)
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Talk about an awesome job, holy smokes lol.

Yeah, I think so :O... best part was the interview for it... I was at a crossroads career wise, with a new GRC VP (was GRC guy at that time), coming in, so I was going to be handing off a lot of responsibility[ had picked up interim] and had a couple of options on the table, I told our old CSO to put me where it made the most sense for the business... he told me, "No, I want you where you want to be, take the weekend and think about it, we will talk Monday" Monday came, and I asked to start building out our Threat Intel program, which wasn't one of the original options, he said "Its Yours" What a ride :)

Life is good :)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love the fact that I help people every day to attain their dreams and provide for a better future.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All the young groupie girls that hang around my cubicle wanting to spend time with me, Being in Cyber Security is like being a rock star. I have my own entourage, life is good.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love the following:

1. Wear whatever I want to work everyday
    2. Get to focus on a much needed area
    3. Treated like an adult
    4. Get to protect and serve the community
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    TechGromit wrote: »
    All the young groupie girls that hang around my cubicle wanting to spend time with me, Being in Cyber Security is like being a rock star. I have my own entourage, life is good.

Wow I'm definitely working in the wrong place!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□

Cubicle? You need an office with all those groupies hanging around.

The thing i really like like about this field is you can easily have a calling by helping people and not just a job. By what you all posted, there's some great jobs out there.

@jcundiff I think you have the perfect job! Wow!
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    -That I have the freedom to do things that I would like to do to get me into the career field that I want to get into which is InfoSec. I know it's a broad field but I'm still getting the experience and working on it.

-I'm getting paid more than my last job, even though I should be getting paid a lot more here for what I do.

-I get to help people, even though it takes away from what I'm trying to do with my life.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    jamesleecoleman> Life+

I attempted this certification, but failed miserably.
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Wow I'm definitely working in the wrong place!

Where I work the walls are padded so I don't hurt myself or others. Got a cool jacket too!
    4. Get to protect and serve the community

I got served by the state police the other night, $56 ticket, sure I was speeding and driving reckless, but I have to keep up with my fellow peers on the highway.
    I got served by the state police the other night, $56 ticket, sure I was speeding and driving reckless, but I have to keep up with my fellow peers on the highway.

Ouch that always sucks! Couple options: fight it, pay it and take the online driving safety (takes away up to two points), or plead to unsafe driving. Unsafe driving will up the fine, but no points. You can only use it twice with no points third time you use it they'll hit you big time.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Couple options: fight it, pay it and ...

It was a non-point fine "39:4-56", the nice officer let me off easy I think because he seen my Power Plant badge. I was more than happy to pay the $56 instead of a 17 miles over the speed limit ticket. Next time I ax murder someone and get caught, I'll just make sure I have my company badge on and see if I get off with probation. icon_twisted.gif
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate it, yea a couple of the guys are cool but other than that I despise being here, cant stand driving here knowing how the day will be. In short I do not "Love" it one bit.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We have a good team though its recently shrunk from 4 to 2. It's hard to keep good people when tech companies are willing to open their wallets!

I get a lot of freedom in both schedule and projects.

Lot's of different technologies.

Work from home, can't beat that.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    tmtex wrote: »
    I hate it, yea a couple of the guys are cool but other than that I despise being here, cant stand driving here knowing how the day will be. In short I do not "Love" it one bit.

Oh, that's not good. I've had people help me in my job search, so how can I help you?
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    someone gave me -1 rep saying "Don't get it in writing you won't get it." lol

There is no such thing as having planned/paid for training in contract, the world doesn't work this way icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love that..

1)I work from home. (Not everyone at my job can, trust issues)

2) Great team, I get along with everyone.

3) The work seems fairly easy for the amount of money I’m paid.

4) My boss is super nice and very laid back. (He’s one of those bosses that became a boss, but doesn’t like being in charge) I think it was somehow forced. Ha

5) There are not any throw people under the bus moments. We always find a win - win resolution

To bad this is a contract gig… best job I ever had so far.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am paid well for where I live, and my managers generally trust me enough to leave me alone and let me do my job. These are the only things I like about my job right now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love the week off for Christmas/New Years.
    MCP2000 wrote: »
    I love the week off for Christmas/New Years.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Too bad you have to wait almost another year to love your job again. :D
  • MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GeekyChick wrote: »
    It's the most wonderful time of the year. Too bad you have to wait almost another year to love your job again. :D

Gives me something to look forward to every year.. It's been 10 years and still going strong.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I just started but I do enjoy the technology and developing solutions for complex problems.

I also get free training and exam vouchers. I pay nothing out of pocket.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I love:

1. The pay!
    2. Working fully remote
    3. Varied work and projects
    4. It's easy
    5. Working fully remote
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework