Options

Distro suggestion

SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking for a new linux distro after finding out how Ubuntu works updates, I wasn't too happy. I'm looking for a new distro to use, will likely be on several systems in my network eventually. Looking for something that is stable, but I can expect security updates to be released as soon as they are available or very soon after. I'd prefer something that utilizes the apt package manager, so I suppose it needs to be debian based.

Thanks.
OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.

Comments

• Options
    osPrimeosPrime Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are your use cases? Are you looking for a desktop or server build? I don't have much experience with Debian from a desktop perspective. For server platforms, stability is synonymous with Debian if you are looking for an apt package manager. You can visit debian org/security to get an idea as to how they handle their security updates. It seems updates are released the same day a vulnerability goes public.
  • Options
    Desktop, standard useage scenario, only outlier will be some of them will run VMWare, but outside of that basic software. VLC will likely need to be installed on them. I'm replacing all of my windows PC's except my gaming system.

There is one server that will likely be transitioned, but I haven't really started planning for that yet. Amahi HS worked for me in the past, may go back to that.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Debian based really Ubuntu is the way to go. Other than Debian itself. What has been your issue with Ubuntu updates?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I can't recommend Linux for desktop in good conscience....

CentOS for servers...maybe try CentOS or Mint for desktop if you don't like Ubuntu?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    VamplerVampler Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My vote is Debian for stability and being secure. If you want blazing/cutting edge try out Fedora thought it's not a apt package manager distro.
  • Options
    I'm going with Debian.

My is with Ubuntu updates is they virtually freeze the OS in time. Even though software does get updated, it sees to be some kind of weird system on deciding what gets updated and when. Long story short, the OS came with tcpdump which had numerous vulnerabilities. tried updating, even to the point of uninstalling and trying to install from source, but it just wasn't working out. Spoke to the staff and they suggested enabling backports but that didn't update anything, and besides which even if it did the version number wouldn't update so I have no way to validate whether the software was no longer vulnerable.

Downloaded Debian, installed tcpdump with no issues current version.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you try an apt-get dist-upgrade?