Options

Maybe moving to the "Dark Side" (because you guys have cookies :-))

T3chM@nT3chM@n Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm a Network Security Engineer (Cisco security appliances), and I've been dying to dig into pen testing. I'm looking on recommendations on where to start, materials, certs, etc. I've hear Sec+ is almost pointless from some, but I'm open to options. I'm definitely certification oriented, gives me a goal to go after, it's difficult for me to just "tinker" with some things certain times unless there is a solid goal at the end.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Everybody is moving into pentesting! Like, for real! Another year or two that market will be supersaturated - a good opportunity for blue teamers!!

Start with Security+. It'll give you the broad range of exposure to infosec. It sounds like you might be too narrowly focused at the moment, so I'd brush up on the basics for everything. It also helps with the resume (altho not so much for pentesting) and is a cheap/easy thing to get under your belt quickly

If you need someone to recommend a security track for you:

Security+ > EJPT > ECPPT > GPEN > OSCP > GWAPT > GXPN > GMOB - the "G" certs is where it starts to get expensive. OSCP takes a LOT of work. SANS also has some non-certification hacking courses that are good, and I'd start to insert them after GXPN & consider those before the GMOB.

Also start to follow all of the major hacking tool creators on Twitter to get updates on their tools & know when they've made cool new tools to play with. You'll get that list once you get into your studies. Play with those tools in your own lab and become a master of them. Also start to work on your command-line kung fu. Windows, *nix, scripting, PowerShell, and Python. Command-line kung fu mastery is an absolute necessity if you want to do this for a living.
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You've got some technical certs already, which probably means you have some work experience. Feel free to get your Security+, but I feel like this will be beneath you. You could look into EJPT, CEH, or even start down the path for CISSP. OSCP if you really want to dive into the deep end. I add CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker) since it should give you more information than Security+ and is attainable as a sort of pen test entry level style of cert. Just don't expect to get a job off it alone. And if you have money and/or training dollars, GPEN would be a great start.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For pentesting, based off your networking background I would do the following one year plan.

eCPPT > OSCP

After that, you will be experienced enough to know where you want to go from there. You can bypass the SANS stuff. It is too expensive right now for starters. The above certs will give you a solid background into pentesting and you will have a solid idea if you wish to continue in that direction, before you break the bank and spend 5 grand on just one of those SANS courses.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    T3chM@nT3chM@n Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys! Definitely have some good direction to look into!
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It does seem like A LOT of people are getting into pen testing as of lately but I only see about 10% or less following through with it once they realize that its not easy. Most do eJPT and get all of that confidence and excitement built up only to be crushed by the OSCP later, which is still really just an entry level cert for pen testing. I'm not trying to discourage anyone in anyway, just giving you fair warning that the learning curving is very steep and it's not for everyone. Good luck on your journey!
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.