Which to take CCENT or CCNA

TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
I've been studying my butt off the last two months for the CCENT and took the exam on Thursday, Feb. 16 and failed. I got a 755, three of the questions struck me as really off the wall questions. Anyway I was wondering if I would be better off studying for the full exam before attempting it again, instead of attempting the CCENT again. It's roughly the same number of, was wondering if it was more of high level exam, since the same number of questions covers more material. Opinions?
Still searching for the corner in a round room.

Comments

• atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    Your question is a bit confusing. There are three different exams, 100-105 (CCENT/ICND1), 200-105 (CCNA/ICND2), and 200-125 (both ICND1 and ICND2 combined). Let's assume you're talking about the 200-125. The 200-125 is both ICND1 and ICND2 put together into one test. It is primarily for people that have experience in the networking field. If you failed the ICND1 (CCENT), then you will need to know the material for that and also the material for the ICND2 to pass the "full CCNA", 20-125.

Long story short, do the two test route.
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While the composite exam (200-125) covers both 100-105 and 200-105 topics, it does have fewer questions in total. Taking the 100-105 and 200-105 separately will result in a minimum of 90 questions between the two and a maximum of 110 questions, where as the 200-125 will only have 50-60 questions. I did the composite exam and only had 55 questions.

However, while there are fewer questions in total in the 200-125 exam, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be any easier. Cisco knows that when they have less time to gauge someone's knowledge in the 200-125, it may be a good idea to throw in some more difficult questions or scenarios.

No matter the route you choose to take, don't try to learn just enough to pass the exam(s). You're building a foundation of knowledge with the basics, and the last thing you want to do is rush through it.

Good luck.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I would suggest you use the experience you gained with the first test and use it to go pass this next attempt.

There is not a big financial difference between the one and two tests so the big question is how easy is it for you to get to the test center. Do you loose work time or have to travel far? That would be the only reasons I would recommend changing to the single test option.

Good Luck!
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I would recommend retaking CCENT. Taking the full on CCNA exam would be double the material.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looking at my exam cram book, it's only 150 pages of additional material for the CCNA, as opposes to 330 pages for the CCENT part of the book. I think what I'll do is study the additional material, as well as work on the CCENT material, take some CCNA practice exams and see how I score. If I do well enough on the CCNA practice exams, I'll take the CCNA instead of the CCENT. This will keep me on track with my certification goals.
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Do you loose work time or have to travel far?

It's not far to the testing center from work, and I took the exam during work hours, so I didn't lose any pay. However I only get reimbursed for the exam if I pass it.
    atippett wrote: »
    It is primarily for people that have experience in the networking field.

I perform the networking job function now, it's more to get the certification for future employment opportunities. I have an old switch to practice on, I think there's an old router I can pull out of a rack somewhere, I really should build my own lab. Management frowns on when I test changes on the live network, go figure.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.