I took the CompTIA CSA+ today...

sammen89sammen89 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
And passed icon_smile.gif without having to study (i wouldn't recommend my approach)

My background is in web development, then my computer science degree, an entry-level PHP programmer, cybersecurity intern, SOC (Security Operations Center) analyst, and now Tier-2 (a.k.a. forensic investigator) for a large federal SOC.

I currently hold a Security+, Network+, SSCP, CEH, CHFI, GISCP, and most newly... the CompTIA CSA+.

I believe the CSA+ is a nice addition to the CompTIA line-up and is a great fit for those with decent networking knowledge needing to validate their skills for a SOC environment.

Glad to share my experiences.

Comments

• Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

I looking forward to take this exam in the future but not sure if there are any study materials for this as of yet. I have been on Amazon to see if there is any books available but they are not available until May.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! I enjoyed the test. It was a nice $50 bet on myself.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I hope to take that yet this year too!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow really nice!! Congrats!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Congrats on passing!

Any tips for the exam or thing's you'd recommend studying up on? I plan on taking this exam soonish.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @airzero - you could probably pass with no problems. I took it out of curiosity back in August. It was fun and I felt rather easy. With your certifications you should know more than enough now for a pass.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • airzeroairzero Member Posts: 126
    Thanks @stryder144! I think I'll be taking it in april as I'm still going through OSCP till late march.
  • sammen89sammen89 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @Kopite_21 @airzero Comparing it to more mainstream certs...

Take the easy parts out of the Security+ with 30% being CEH-like questions and maybe 10% digital forensics.

Be comfortable looking at things like wireshark, apache logs, linux logs, understanding incident response scenarios, and vulnerability scan results.
    @Kopite_21 and @airzero. Comparing it to the mainstream certs.

- Take the easy questions out of the CompTIA Security+
    + w/ 30% CEH-basics added.
    + w/ 10% digital forensics added.

Tips:
    - Be familiar with screenshots from wireshark, apache logs, linux log, windows security events, and vulnerability scans.
    - Make sure you understand the terms from the exam outline provided by CompTIA.
    @nisti2, seeing your certification line-up you could probably just walk-in and do just fine.

Just ensure you are familiar with screenshots from wireshark, apache logs, linux log, windows security events, and vulnerability scans.
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Learning_Stuff&ThingsLearning_Stuff&Things Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am into a Security Analyst Role about 6 months and wondering if I should take the Sec+ first and then the CSA+ or jump right in to the CSA+. I have about 3 years Network Infrastructure experience and got a BA in Cyber Security. So I am trying to see what the best approach would be.
  • rcwillia1992rcwillia1992 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good evening all, I have my Bachelors in Computer Science. Recently I have obtained my Security +. I have no experience and currently trying to find work. I know I want to take the Cyber Security Path, but do not know which cert to get next wheter it be the CSA+ or the CASP. I see comments on the CSA+ but no legit books or preferred requirements for this certification when I look up jobs. I also am inquiring on whether the ITIL v3 cert falls in line with cyber security. Any help would be much needed and any tips on things I can do in my spare time or certain projects to build on before potential job interviews.