IT Folks: What is your daily "wake up" drink of choice?

cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
Hi everyone,

What is your daily "wake up" drink? (coffee, energy drink, tea, etc?). I don't think I could do IT work without some kind of drink to wake me up out of Zombie mode.

For me,

I rotate one week of coffee, then one week of energy drinks (no redbulls unless for a test). To be more specific I like to drink Monster's, Pina Colada Rockstars, and NOS. My favorite coffee would be a venti iced coffee with a splash of cream from Starbucks.
Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me it has to be Tea every time. addicted to the stuff. Not really a coffee or energy drink (Red Bull, Monster etc...) drinker.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Medicine and water. Then coffee. Try to limit the coffee so that way the tolerance doesn't build as high. Monster for the days that I'd rather have a beverage that's cold versus hot.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Coffee in the morning. Decaf tea in the afternoon. Not a huge fan of energy drinks but I'll have once in a blue moon.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    20 years ago - JOLT cola, espresso, pretty much whatever I could get my hands on in unhealthy quantities.

Today - start with water, leave the house with coffee, I may reload coffee once later in the morning if I feel that I need it.

I find that aerobic exercise first thing in the morning can replace the need for coffee. The problem with this, is that you have to get up and do aerobic exercise icon_lol.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I try to have some water first, maybe half a glass. Then usually a cup or cup and a half of coffee, black. Water for the rest of the day.

I used to just start with coffee, but I found that I'd start feeling dehydrated around lunch time and would often end up with a nagging headache.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm usually good for two cups of coffee a day. I prefer the coffee we brew at home compared to the industrial Bunn coffee maker at work but it does the job. Sometimes I'll use a 5-Hour Energy to get my day going or for study sessions. The energy shot is a habit I need to break however. It can't be good for you and and it sure as heck ain't cheap.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Black coffee (no sugar)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Scotch on the Rocks
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Water or hot tea.
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Espresso icon_thumright.gif
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I actually just drink water, and eat an apple, not sure if it's entirely true but the natural sugars from an apple were told to me to exceed 1+ cup(s) of coffee worth of energy.

I see people who live off coffee, that stuff makes me crash and burn half way through the day, if I really need a kick its extra strength 5 hour energy!
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Water and ice tea.
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    20 years ago - JOLT cola, espresso, pretty much whatever I could get my hands on in unhealthy quantities.

Good old Jolt Cola :) I have been around 20 years or so as well... back then it was jolt, surge, and walmart actually sold a caffeine enhanced water (Water Joe) that we used to brew coffee/espresso with icon_surprised.gif then came the energy drinks LOL at one point, I was doing 3 of the large, screw top cans of rockstar or monster, some days 4 or 5...

Now a days, its lots of water, a diet mt. dew, and 2-4 cups of coffee most days... I prefer my coffee black, and my tea in the harbor :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually a hot shower in the morning is enough to wake me up. When I driving home at the end of the day I occasionally drink half a bottle of 5 hour energy drink, then water to get the acid from it off my teeth.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jcundiff wrote: »
    walmart actually sold a caffeine enhanced water (Water Joe) that we used to brew coffee/espresso with

I'm so gonna try this ;)

First thing is coffee in the morning. On most normal days I drink 1-2 pots of coffee myself in the winter. In the summer I relax on the coffee and drink unsweetened iced tea or cold coffee. I figure there is water in coffee so I am getting my daily 8 glasses ;).
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I mostly drink water that's about it. I'm not a huge coffee person it's very rare.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    Redbull 12 oz. I used to drink Nos and Monster, now it makes me nauseous after half a can.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Water, I'm a cheap date.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just bought an AeroPress to reduce the costs compared to the $3 a cup coffee from the trendy boutique next store. One in the morning if I didn't sleep great. One after lunch if I'm tired or bored.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Water or tea normally. Right now, just getting settled into a new job, so I've not brought the tea gear to work yet.

Otherwise, I stop at a Kum & Go on the way to work to get a <$2 cappuccino.

On the weekends, often Starbucks if I'm meeting up with friends to talk shop, or just another Kum & Go stop.

Other than that, that's about all I drink. I'm typically otherwise a water-drinker at any other time.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »

Nice! I did jolt in those large cans as long as I could find it around town somewhere. Probably last time was about 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure I'm too old now to be able to handle it! I think the last few times I had it were staggered far apart and I'm pretty sure I could feel my heart racing.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Nowadays it's 28oz of ice cold water. Surge was discontinued by the time I started in IT so I was on Rockstar (white can) for a few years, then around 2008 I switched permanently to Monster Lo-Carb (blue M logo). I would honestly drink the stuff if they made a caffeine free version because it tastes like liquid candy. I quit caffeine permanently at the end of last year. For some reason caffeine just started giving me headache issues after a lifetime of it running through my veins all day icon_sad.gif

jcundiff wrote: »
    at one point, I was doing 3 of the large, screw top cans of rockstar or monster, some days 4 or 5...

Good gawd I thought I was bad with 3 regular cans of Monsters during my CISSP cramming days icon_surprised.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been drinking coffee for the last two years since I became a parent. I keep a jar of taster's choice at my desk which I have a cup of every morning and afternoon.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mine is a 2 to 3 mile run at 5 AM. Trust me you're awake after that. Roll out of bed put shorts and t-shirt on and go to the gym and run. No warm up or anything just straight out run as fast as you can for as long as needed to get 2 to 3 miles. Trust me it is a good shock to the body and I have lost 20lbs in 3 months.
  • gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually coffee or water in the morning. Afternoon is sometimes Monster, water, or a soda.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Water isn't a "wake-up" drink, it's just water. Everyone should consume plain water (or seltzer) throughout the day. I drink a bottle when I first wake up to get hydrated once again though.

I'll drink coffee if DD has it for 50/76 cents (when the local hockey/basketball team plays a home game). I lift weights heavy at 5 AM though, and on those days I find that no coffee is required (amazingly, you are less tired after waking up earlier and exercising than just waking up later and heading to work) but if it's a DD deal day, I'll still hit it up. If no deal, I'll either just skip a "wake-up" drink, or snag a v8 energy drink if they have it.
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My "breakfast" during the week is a scoop of whey protein mixed with filtered water, organic milk & a tablespoon of Bulletproof Brain Octane (MCT oil)
    I also have a cup of coffee that I sip on all morning, that usually keeps me going until lunch...
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Black dark roast coffee, usually Seattle's Best #4 organic
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If I am extremely tired and NEED to wake up, it's a double- or triple-sized Rockstar. Otherwise, it's just bottled water with powdered flavoring.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mt. Dew
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F