Options

Service Desk Role

Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Good Afternoon guys,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have an interview tomorrow for a Service Desk position and on top of that I will be doing my A+ 901 exam on the Friday so my head is mashed at the minute trying to prepare for my interview also studying for my 901. Has anyone got any ideas of questions that I may be asked at the interview so I get get a heads up and hopefully be prepared for whats in stall. Also I always struggle to ask questions at the end of interviews. Any ideas?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Please see below a brief Job Description:- [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Job Role:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The ICT Service Desk Technician role is responsible for providing maintenance of the (Company Name) Desktop and Server environment by analysing requirements, resolving problems, installing hardware and software solutions, and supporting the internal ICT Service Desk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This role entails the administration and internal support of the computing environment including PC’s, printers, software services, servers, and related equipment. Tasks include timely incident / problem resolution, performance monitoring, capacity and system availability management, project based implementations and detailed technical moves / adds / changes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The (Company Name) ICT team takes professional pride in and instills a culture of Service Excellence. This includes identifying improvement opportunities and initiating appropriate actions to improve Service Levels, while ensuring Customer Service Level Agreements (SLA) are maintained.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]People[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]· Provide ICT Service Desk support and resolve problems to the end user’s satisfaction[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Monitor service desk queues and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the ICT Service Desk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Document internal procedures[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Ensure the efficient utilization of ICT resources across the organisation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Foster a culture of customer focused ICT service[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Personal Attributes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]· Exceptional customer service skills with a focus on delivering our customers’ requirements.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Excellent written and oral communication skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Excellent interpersonal skills.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Ability to conduct research into ICT issues and products as required.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Highly self-motivated and directed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Keen attention to detail.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    These two links will definitely help you prepare for the job interview.

the Ask a Manager guide to preparing for job interviews

http://mikenation.net/files/Preparing_for_the_Job_Interview.pdf

Questions they may ask................ this is based off the job description you provided..

People

· Provide ICT Service Desk support and resolve problems to the end user’s satisfaction

1) Please provide an example where you resolve a problem and the customer was satisfied with the results? What was the result?

2) How would you Foster a culture of customer focus at ITC?

Stuff not on the job description that you will be questioned on.

1) What qualities can you bring to ITC, that no other candidate can bring to this position?

2) What are your strengths and weaknesses?

3) What do you know about this position?

4) What do you know about the company?

Here's what I have learned:

1) The links I posted above are pure gold. One is from a hiring manager and another is from tech that used to do hiring.

2) Research the company you're interviewing at!! You should know, the mission statement, the culture, awards they won, what they do, what they're about.

3) Look up the person you're interviewing with on linked in.

4) During the interview take notes, this will help if you want to ask any questions during the end. Also, this will help when you send thank you cards to each person you interviewed with.

5) Drive to the job location a day before the interview to get a feel for the drive.

6) On the day of the interview leave 30 minutes early or more so that you arrive early at the interview. If you early, then stay in your car for 5-10 minutes before the interview.

Anything that's on your resume or in the job description is fair game for interview questions.

Questions you should ask.

1) What is the cultural like?

2) What is a typical day like in this role/position?

3) I see the job description says Document internal procedures...What format or platform do you use for documentation?

4) What the biggest challenge I would face in this position?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Hi,

My experience with these type interviews are that they will be focusing on soft skills and customer service skills. Think logically and always start at layer 1 when troubleshooting.

Good Luck!
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

My experience with these type interviews are that they will be focusing on soft skills and customer service skills. Think logically and always start at layer 1 when troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

I generally ask about 10 of the following technical questions, although a few of these are outdated. I managed a service desk for an MSP, so we actually are quite interested in someones technical chops.

Technical questions:
    Can you describe an Operating System?
    What is your favorite Operating System and why?
    What does DNS stand for? Can you describe how it works?
    What does DHCP stand for? Can you describe how it works?
    What was the size of the largest environment you’ve worked in (Computer/user count)
    Have you worked in a multi-domain environment?
    What is Authentication? Can you describe it?
    Describe AD, LDAP, Internal/proprietary, SQL
    What is your experience with virtual infrastructure? VMware? XenServer? Hyper-V?
    What is a virtual machine?
    How much do you use command line on a daily basis?
    Do you have any Powershell experience?
    Have you worked with Microsoft Exchange?
    What is the difference between POP3/IMAP systems and Exchange?
    Have you worked with Microsoft Terminal Servers? What do you know about them?
    What about Citrix? Any published application support?
    What is the difference between a thin-client and a fat-client?
    Have you done any printer support?
    What’s the difference between direct printing and using a print server?
    What is a GPO? Have you ever had to troubleshoot one?
    What is the difference between NTFS permissions and Share permissions?
    Are you comfortable with working with file permissions?
    Are you familiar with the concept of a distributed file system?
    What is a VPN? Can you describe how they work?
    What is a subnet? Can you recognize if two hosts are on the same subnet? How would you test this?
    We troubleshoot for a large portion of the day: what’s the hardest thing you’ve ever had to fix?
    Do you have any technical certifications?
  • Options
    I Got the job...icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Its... complicated.
    My first full time job (after seasonal jobs in college) was a mix of all tiers support.
    I did help desk, tier 1 stuff all the way to create DBs, deploy servers, firewall issues, etc.

I wanted more hands on Networking and for my 2nd job I moved to a Help Desk/NOC position.
    This NOC was very unique though. Lot's of technologies, 1.5 troubleshooting. Learned a lot.

Job 3 another JoA, current job another JoA.
    meh
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kopite_21 wrote: »
    I Got the job...icon_cheers.gif

Congrats! So what kinds of questions did you end up getting during the interview?
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Cheer's, I didn't get asked any technical questions they just asked me about a typical work day in my current job now. They were just telling me about what the company does and where it wants to go. My 1st interview was just a general chat about the position.