How long to study for Linux+

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I can devote 2 hours a day, 6 days a week to study for the Linux+ exam. With that in mind, would 6 weeks per exam, 12 weeks for both, be enough time to pass Linux+?
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    It should be enough time. But, everyone's path to a certification will be different.

I passed Security+ the first time, and thought wow, this is easy. Yet, I've known plenty of people who fail that one.

I passed both LX-103/LX-104 on the same day, and on the first try. Yet, I failed the Red Hat Certified System Administrator exam twice before passing.

Set a goal like you did. Six weeks per exam. At the end of your first exam (LX-103), re-evaluate if you need more time or are good to go.

Best of luck in obtaining the Linux+.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally spread my Linux+ over 12 months. Actual study time: 3 months for the LX0-103 and 3 months for the LX0-104. I think it's possible in your timeframe, but 2 hours is very little time really. Don't forget, not only do you need to read the material in the book, you NEED to practice it. Having theory without practical skills is very bad indeed. I'd personally say you should read for 2 hours and practice for over an hour every day. That way you'll be getting to practice all of the commands and understand their output. Good luck!
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    The schedule depends on how quick of a learner you are and how much effort you put into your studies. I studied for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for about a month for the first exam LX-101, totaling 120 hours. For the second exam LX-102, I took it 3 weeks afterward with the same schedule. My total study time was about 210 hours between both exams and that was watching videos, reading, and labbing all together. I had a little bit of a hobbyist knowledge and had take about 2 Linux classes a few years earlier.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That is about how long I took to study both.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...