Failed Net+. Need help.

Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
Hi guys,

I took and failed Net+ with a 680/900 this morning.
I was baffled by some of the questions I got- I had spent a lot of time practicing subnet calculations and I didn't see a single question relating to that on the entire test.

Instead, I got an extreme number of CMD prompt output related questions and "what would you do first in this scenario" questions, which I was under-prepared for.

I want to give this test another shot in a week, but I would appreciate advice on what study materials I should use for now and what criteria I can judge myself on so that I know when I'm ready this time.

So far, I've watch Professer Messer's YouTube video series, did Pearson's Ucertify course (granted, it didn't come with labs), and used Darril Gibson's Network+ app.

Thanks.
"The winner takes it all"

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you can remember the commands on the test that you were unsure, I would spend a lot of time on TechNet looking up the usage of those commands. On Messer's site as well, he has material for the 70-680 Windows 7 exam, which will have a lot of network-related commands. I would spend a TON of time studying the NETSH command with ALL its features/syntax/output. For the Windows commands, you should be somewhat comfortable configuring anything at the command line that you would normally do in graphical. Maybe install a VM with Server 2008 R2 running a CORE edition that has command-line only and practice with that.

As far as any Linux-related commands, there are plenty of free resources online. I'm definitely not the one to ask about Linux-related subjects, but there are plenty of posts on this forum related to those.

CompTIA LOVES to ask the "what would you do first?" or "which out of these 5 CORRECT answers is the BEST?" questions, which is very irritating.

I've heard great feedback about Messer's materials, although I haven't watched all his videos. When I taught the Network+ class, we used the cert guide written by Keith Barker and Kevin Wallace. I thought it was very thorough, but I've only taken practice exams for the new Net+.

I hope that helps. Best of luck with your retake!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • LFCJoshhLFCJoshh Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Keith Barker series on CBT Nuggets is good, Although its like 17+ hours long (Unlikely you will smash that in a week).
    From your exam report you should have a list of the areas you got questions incorrect? - May be worth using the available online tools such as Prof Messer, Youtube.. etc etc to go over these areas.

Probably worth noting that the questions within the exam will probably be different next time too, so dont spend all your time on one area!

Good Luck.
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You were really close. I"m sure you'll have it this next time. I agree the questions were confusing. Here's some ideas that might help:

- I suggest you print out the Net+ objectives and go over them one-by-one and make sure you know each of them well.
    - I suggest you look into the questions on Transcender. Those were the closest to the actual test IMHO. Examcompass and messer were ok.
    - Focus on the things you don't know very well and find info on those from other sources than what you already used. I noticed not all topics were covered thoroughly in any of the sources I used.

You've got it!
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Did you do the Ucertify prep engine practice questions?
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Yep cdx, did the prep engine. I thought that was gonna cover everything I needed but it wound up actually missing quite a few types of questions that I had on the test.

Thanks for the re-encouragement and advice GeekyChick. I'll be sure to check out Transcender.

LFCJoshh Thanks for the advice, I'll have to check out the Kieth Barker Series, at least to cover my weak areas.

And thanks PCTechLinc, I'll check out Technet too.

I'll keep you guys posted! Hopefully on the 22nd I'll be going in again and this time I'll knock it out!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Good luck for next time!
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    The Exam Cram book is what I used for N+ and it comes with hundreds of solid practice questions + exam cram **** sheet I went over before going inside the test center. I am sure you will pass next time if you look over the areas you missed from the print out of your first attempt.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
    Will do.
    I took the exam today and passed pretty comfortably. The questions were still pretty tough, but I had reviewed areas I got wrong the first time, so I was much better rounded this time. Thanks so much for the advice everyone! It felt really good to have this quick comeback.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Awesome job! I know the feeling of having a test hit you, but then you bounce back and knock it out. Glad you got through it the second time.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • neochanges1neochanges1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That's really awesome, congrats!