Options

Which certs to pursue?

kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
which project management certs are the most valueable?
And from what to start?
Also would be nice if you recomend books with certs:)

Comments

• Options
    kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey, no recomendations at all?icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PMP I don't see anything that can compare to that
  • Options
    mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed
    If you are looking for a PM cert and are approved, the PMP is far and away the best one.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends on a couple of factors.....

Experience
    Role
    Country you work in
    Goals

I hate to dodge a direct answer but it really depends on those, and probably some others I failed to mention.

PMP is fine and well if you are working in a waterfall / no iterative agile environment. In my shop we actively filter out PMP's, (bad track record) with them in the past. We look for SCRUM or hybrid methodologies that have a more real world application. (Massive planning cycles aren't tolerated in my space). It literally is initiation to execution, planning is much more scaled back in our enterprise.
  • Options
    nam.dokenam.doke Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are a fresher and looking to enter the field of project management, you can go for CAPM as PMI has prerequisites to take PMP certification, which are as follows:

1. Secondary degree with minimum 5 years of experience in project management with 7500 hours leading projects and 35 hours of PDU.
    2. Higher degree with minimum 3 years of experience in project management with 4500 hours leading projects and 35 hours of PDU.

If you fall under any of the above criteria, you can go ahead with PMP.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my experience, CSM, Certified Scrum Master is a really sought out on in my market.

At one time I was looking at the product owner one, but.......... right now it doesn't make much sense.